HELP!!! Private Webserver

• Zackeriney
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Zackeriney

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi i want to run my website from my internet. i know i would be slow etc but i do have a 256 upload speed and its only simple php pages.

i have a netgear router - dg834g - and want to do it via my laptop on the network - there are 2 laptops - but my ip it comes up 192.168.0.4. i cant find my ip. the only ip i get from ipconfig /all is the remote router configeration page.

thanks
zack
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

You have your own internet?? Just kidding.

First off the 192.168.0.4 is an internal IP given out by your router. To find your external IP you need to go to http://www.whatismyip.com. This is what users would need in order to access your website. But you would need to forward port 80 from your internal to your external IP in your router configuration. http://www.portforward.com will help you with that.

Secondly, running a website on a 256K connection is going to be slow as hell as you mentioned.

Thirdly, most ISP's do not allow you to run webservers on their connection. That is why they usually offer free webspace. Check your terms of service.

Fourthly, if you are able to run a webserver, you need to decide whether you will be using Linux/Apache or Windows/IIS or Windows/Apache. Linux/Apache is of course preferred but Windows will work as well. You would also need to install PHP and MySQL (if needed). There are all in one packages out there, I can't remember any off the top of my head at the moment though.

Hope that helps.
  • Zackeriney
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Zackeriney

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cheers

grinch2171 wrote:
You have your own internet?? Just kidding.

lol then i could do what i want
  • Zackeriney
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Zackeriney

Post 3+ Months Ago

does anyone know if aol allow it??
i cant find an answer anywhere on there website
  • john551
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • john551

Post 3+ Months Ago

Many ISP's block port 80. As they don't want the users to use it for a server. Call AOL and ask them if they allow. If yes, cheers and install a web server, Firewalls and start hosting. Remember, if you don't have a firewall installed, and don't block the unnecessary ports, you server will be attacked within minutes of going online.
  • ctrenks
  • Student
  • Student
  • ctrenks

Post 3+ Months Ago

AOL will switch IP's as they proxy, so you would never be able to tell anyone where your server is.

You may have 25 different ips in 20 minutes with each request.
  • Digitelle
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: BRKLYN-NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have an answer for this, as I run a private server out of my house. I only use it for accessing my own files away from home, much as someone would use a .mac account.

I don't know if I am allowed to tell Zackeriney how this is done on Ozzu.
  • pedrotuga
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok... nobody told you...
your ip is not visible from the outside. Why? Because there tousands of the exact same ip all over the world... how?? easy: that ip is only used by the router to deliver the packets that you computer requested but the only visible ip from the outside is the router ip.
Chek out this to see how it works:
http://www.firewall.cx/ip-classes.php
Your isp only gives you one single ip wich your router use... the terminal users ip are NEVER forwarded.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts