HELP! Server Change Issues

• AndrewGSR
  • Born
  • Born
  • AndrewGSR
  • Loc: Limerick, Ireland

Post 3+ Months Ago

HELP! Server Change Issues

I know i'm new here, but I am in serious need for a solution to my problem.

Where do i start?!

I have a reseller package with HostGator.com , and I had one of my personal sites on it. The site was growing too

fast, and taking up too much of my reseller package, so i bought another normal hosting package from hostgator.

They did a complete site copy onto the new server (same account name for site, just on a different one of their

servers)

Old: http://74.52.131.146/~midnight/
New: http://74.53.28.146/~midnight/

I did this swap over 7 days ago. It was successful, everything worked, did my DNS swap and i thought that was it.

Now for the confusing part.
when i type in my domain (http://www.midnightclub.ie) it shows up perfect, as it should, as it does with 75% of my

members

BUT

For the other 25%, its showing up as the old server. I have been onto my domain supplier, and they said all is

fine at their end, they are seeing the site as they should, have been onto hostgator, and it works for them, they

cant understand what it can be.

Not only this, but people who can get on, might still get the old servers at times. People who cant get on, can

get on from different computers in different houses (hope that makes sense)

I was about to change the site back to my reseller package and scrap the new hosting, but said i would seek advice

from other webmasters first.

Has anybody ever experienced this before? How is it solved? What can i do?

Thanks
AndrewGSR
MidnightClub.ie
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Both links that you posted work. That could mean that the old record wasn't removed from their first name server.
Look at their name servers. They match the second octect of the IPs that you posted. 52 and 53.
nserver: ns529.hostgator.com
nserver: ns530.hostgator.com

However, I did a traceroute from 2 machines (Windows and Unix) and both showed the new IP.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some providers (mostly European we have found) do not respect TTL limits imposed in the DNS record. Which means, no matter what your Time To Live field states, they tend to hang onto it longer, thus ignoring your window.

There's not much you can do about it, but wait it out. Eventually they will time out, and need to be re-cached.

Typically a company as large as hostgator would utilize scripted controls, ensuring that a master was altered and the slaves were updated (rndc, etc. et al). I sincerely doubt they have a manual process for updating multiple DNS servers, though I won't totally discount the possibility.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Multiple name servers? They only have 2. It shouldn't be too hard.
  • john551
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • john551

Post 3+ Months Ago

Redirect the vistors of your old server to new server. This way when people who are being directed to the old server when they type the domain will be redirected to the new server.

Once this is done, wait for some time to check the domain names resolution. If you still see traffic on the old server, then the issue could be in DNS setting. You could than contact HOstgator with details and I am sure they will do the needful.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts