Hoping to find some hosting guidance

• Inito
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello hello,

I'm intending to bring a nearly completed project of mine online soon, but I'm left with no hosting account - so my quest to find one begins. Having, up till now, almost always worked as a freelancer I had the luck to have friends willing to temporarily host projects for my clients while in development. Therefore I have never chosen any hosting company myself and am slightly clueless when it comes to it.

The project involves a search engine sort of thing. The public side will simply involve lots of communication between the site and a database (executing search queries, which will involve text only). This would make me think I am not looking for huge amounts of bandwidth, nor huge amounts of space (which I might possibly reach over time when the database would grow in size), but rather the ability of handling many database connections, swiftly. The other side would involve a php based crawler, opening connections to websites and crawling their contents. Though this may well be running continuously or at least in small intervals when the list of sources becomes large, I don't think it will eat too much. I guess I should look at CPU and RAM for this?

Having said that, I am a bit at a loss as to what aspects of hosting/servers I should look at in particular, as I'm sure it goes quite further than just 'good connection speed'.

I am also thinking whether it would not be a better choice to start out with a cheaper reseller hosting plan than getting a dedicated server right away. However, flexibility, i.e. the ability to upgrade, would be very important in that case as you can imagine.

One dedicated hosting service I have my eyes on currently is http://www.serverbeach.com, the $75 plan in particular, as has been pointed out by someone in a previous thread. But as they offer no other type of hosting, in the event of starting off with a cheaper reseller plan I would have to look somewhere else, and that in return would probably tie me to a 1 year contract at that company, which will probably be way over the time I will need an upgrade.

I hope I have succeeded in explaining my situation and my needs. And sincerely, your views, recommendations and guidance is very much appreciated.

Regards,

David
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I chat a lot with the owner of cotse.net I've never hosted a site with him but I can say he knows his stuff.
  • Inito
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the recommendation, but they only offer 150MB disk space, 250MB bandwidth which I feel is too little even for this. In addition, they don't allow automated scripts, like the crawler in my case.
  • workingwebmaster
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • workingwebmaster

Post 3+ Months Ago

hostgator have a look at them, don't think you need to commit to anything with them either.
  • john551
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • john551

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hostgator will be my choice. But again if your crawling scripts are eating up too much server resources, than you will need to upgrade to either a VPS or an entry level dedicated server.

Hostgator will inform you about this to u, if you need to upgrade.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts