Host Bandwidth Usage

• Himroth
  • Himroth

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can anyone give me a vauge idea of bandwidth useage please?

I'm thinking of taking the minimum package from http://www.hostdime.com which has a 15Gb month bandwidth limit but not sure how much that will give me?

I plan on running a site with roughly 500-1000 people visits a day utilising a forum, vast content with a fair few pics and some d/ls. will 15GB surfice?

Cheers

Himroth
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• rDolay
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • rDolay

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lets think your homepage html is 50kbyte and assuming 1 visitor browse average 500kb pics from your pages then it makes 550kb per visitor.
1000users X 500kb = 500.000kb = 500Mb daily and it makes about 15Gb/Mo. outgoing bandwidth.
If you calculate your uploads + e-mails then the bw usage ranges wide 15-25Gb of bandwidth
You can start with that plan and if you realise that it wont be enough then you will upgrade it.
  • Himroth
  • Himroth

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ahh I get it now lol

Thanks I think I know how it works now :D

Was feeling abit dumb this morning lol
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello Himroth,

In your particular example - I would think that bandwith would really be your secondary concern.

What sort of site are you running? Static or Database. You already indicated that you will have a forum - any existing data on number of simultaneous users?

DataBase driven applications tend to utilize CPU and RAM resources - and often times these sorts of applications will exceed CPU/RAM allocation long before your actual bandwith usage is utilized.

Read any providers TOS carefully before making a decision. Additionally, I would contact the providers you are interested in and let them know the applications you plan on running and the number of simultaneous users you expect on your data base applications. Ask them which package they would recommend...

Afterall - you can buy a package with 200 GB transfer, but, if your account gets suspended after only utilizing 5 GB because of CPU utilization - this isnt going to do you much good.

Hope this helps...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts