Hosting and database recommendations

  • trenqo
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • trenqo
  • Posts: 7

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello everyone, I’m new to this forum and looking for advice.

I need to host a web “application” I am creating (a sort of enhanced wiki) that will require some sort of “database.” I anticipate high loads in the future (including a possible slashdotting), though it will start small.

The database will just contain nodes with attributes and “links” to other nodes. My options as far as I know are to either use a file system based “database” (with each node as an xml file), or a relational database. Whenever a page is loaded, the database will have to be used multiple times to create the page by combining the content of a bunch of linked nodes, so speed is an issue.

As for as hosting, I don’t have the time or resources to self host, so I’m looking for an easy, reliable, cheap host that will let me use whatever database I decide on, and ideally allow python server side scripting. For testing, I’m looking for a working free host that allows the same database and server side scripting capabilities as whatever my final host would be - I don’t care about ads as the site would be just for my own testing use (and I use firefox).

If you have any advice on either the database or host, I’d really like to hear it.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Posts: 455
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Meisam,

Please avoid just spamming random offers to a posters questions...

Trengo,

Quote:
I need to host a web “application” I am creating (a sort of enhanced wiki) that will require some sort of “database.” I anticipate high loads in the future (including a possible slashdotting), though it will start small.


Has this application been tested at least locally and confirmed to run properly? I understand needing to host this application somewhere - however, very few reputable hosts will take on a fresh development project and allow testing on a populated shared environment...

As for a host that will allow you to run any database you like - that may or may not be a challenge - for example, you will not see linux hosts offering MS SQL. I believe MySQL will fulfill either of your stated requirements - however, you may decide to go in a different direction. Also, python server side scripting may or may not cause problems with hosts - it is best you ask them this upfront.
  • trenqo
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • trenqo
  • Posts: 7

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the reply, CartikaHosting (not meisam)

Keep in mind that I have no experience with hosting, so if I say anything ignorant, tell me.

CartikaHosting wrote:
Has this application been tested at least locally and confirmed to run properly? I understand needing to host this application somewhere - however, very few reputable hosts will take on a fresh development project and allow testing on a populated shared environment...


The “application” is just a glorified wiki that I will develop (I have a basic plan, and some programming experience). I have not started writing it yet, as I want to make sure to use languages and databases that can actually be hosted, without paying some ridiculous fee (due to my needs being too specific). I also was intending to test it as I went along by uploading to the host and trying it out.

Is there any difference between that and installing a wiki that someone else has already created on the host? My impression was that you could install stuff like that without a problem, as long as the host supports the language.

CartikaHosting wrote:
As for a host that will allow you to run any database you like - that may or may not be a challenge - for example, you will not see linux hosts offering MS SQL. I believe MySQL will fulfill either of your stated requirements - however, you may decide to go in a different direction.


I am looking for advice on what would be best to use for the “database” - whether I should use user created files or a real relational database. By best I mean easiest to program, easiest to find hosts for, fastest to use and cheapest to host.

CartikaHosting wrote:
Also, python server side scripting may or may not cause problems with hosts - it is best you ask them this upfront.


I was actually hoping to find if anyone here knows of decent hosts that do allow python server side scripting. I know such hosts exist, but they seem few and far between. If I need to, I'll write it in php, but that would require actually learning it, and I already know a good bit of python...
-----
My goal here is to make the right decisions from that start, so I don't find out halfway through that my host won't support what I need (or even worse, that no reasonably priced host supports what I need).
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Posts: 455
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Keep in mind that I have no experience with hosting, so if I say anything ignorant, tell me.


Judging by your comments, Id say you are alot more savy then you let on :D

Quote:
The “application” is just a glorified wiki that I will develop (I have a basic plan, and some programming experience). I have not started writing it yet, as I want to make sure to use languages and databases that can actually be hosted, without paying some ridiculous fee (due to my needs being too specific). I also was intending to test it as I went along by uploading to the host and trying it out.


You shouldnt have too many problems with this - Im just overly cautious when someone says "testing new apps" :)

Quote:
I am looking for advice on what would be best to use for the “database” - whether I should use user created files or a real relational database. By best I mean easiest to program, easiest to find hosts for, fastest to use and cheapest to host.


MS SQL would be a nice DB platform for you - but of course, Microsoft hosting tends to cost a little more....

A great DB would be PGSQL, but of course, finding hosts that support this is next to impossible... I "think" the reasons mentioned above are exactly what has spurned the proliferation of MySQL....

If possible, try to stick with php - as its platform independant - really a good choice for your type of project.... but, theres always that nsaty learning curve :)

Not sure if I have answered any of your questions or caused even greater confusion... But, I tired :D
  • meisam
  • Student
  • Student
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 96
  • Loc: Richmond, BC

Post 3+ Months Ago

im not spamming, he needs to host his "application" i was just telling him that i can host it for him if he wants
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Posts: 455
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
i was just telling him that i can host it for him if he wants


Can you even support trengo's proposed environment? I know I cannot as I do not support python scripting or MS SQL (if that ends up being the DB of choice).

On what basis are you proposing a package?

I assume you support python scripting as well as MySQL and MS SQL DB's?
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 542
  • Loc: Riverdale, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know it's sort of already said but, to clear up things, his new app was obviously a website and, any host will allow you to host just about any website you want (within the TOS) as long as you're paying. Personally, I would test it on my dev server at home until it was running well and then upload it to a server of which I was hosting with. This gives you the advantages of knowing what software you're going to require and getting the site working well before going public. If you do not need Python or MS SQL, I would def. recommend CartikaHosting as although I have not personally hosted with them, I have all the intention in the world to once I'm ready and have heard only good things.

Oh, and also, since you're at the very least hoping for this site to grow, make sure whatever host you choose allows you to upgrade your plan and has enough different options to choose from. This way, you will not need to pay too much now due to preparing for later or, later for going over your bandwidth or something because you are locked in the plan. I am not a hosting company (at least not yet) but, I do know that H-sphere (at least on paper) looks far more redundant and reliable. Cpanel seems to have a lot of problems which is honestly most likely the host's fault anyways.. but it just hasn't always been a good experience. Also, I'd look into how long a host has been around and what their records are. Talk to them a little about what plan they think you need even if you already know to see what support's like (sorry hosts, I know this makes you busy but, it's necessary) and go on website host rating sites.

wow, this is way too long and something smells like it's burning.. I hope I helped in some way.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Posts: 455
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you for the kind words darkermoon...

trengo, I have done a bit of research here, and I think a "good bet" may be http://www.diyhosting.com and http://www.web.com. They both offer dual platform windows/linux reseller plans and it "appears" as though they both support python.

I have zero experience with web.com, but, I can personally vouch for http://www.diyhosting.com.

A dual platform h-sphere environment would give you flexibility of multiple DB's and scripting platforms.

Hope this helps...
  • tojan
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 29
  • Loc: Gdynia, Poland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think that the most important part of web hosting is the human part. If your host is friendlyh and helpful you'll solve any problem.
The only problem is that, it's really hard to find out about it before you buy.
  • trenqo
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • trenqo
  • Posts: 7

Post 3+ Months Ago

darkermoon wrote:
Personally, I would test it on my dev server at home until it was running well and then upload it to a server of which I was hosting with. This gives you the advantages of knowing what software you're going to require and getting the site working well before going public.


Isn’t there some way of keeping a site “private” while testing in real conditions? Either through password protection of the site, only allowing certain ip’s to see it, or by simply setting robots.txt to disallow all engines, so nobody would find it?
Also, I figured it would be easier to simply use a real server, rather then setting up a dev server for testing. Is there any other reason I’d want to set up a dev server at home? (my connection is fast, and I won’t be dealing with images)

darkermoon wrote:
Oh, and also, since you're at the very least hoping for this site to grow, make sure whatever host you choose allows you to upgrade your plan and has enough different options to choose from. This way, you will not need to pay too much now due to preparing for later or, later for going over your bandwidth or something because you are locked in the plan.


Because of its collaborative nature, this site would actually need to grow or be useless (think of how useless a small wikipedia would be). In fact, in order to really work best, the site would need to be as popular as wikipedia (Yes, I know I think too big. It can’t hurt to try though ;)).
So I am definitely looking for a host that would allow upgrades, or at the very least would not be a problem to switch from. This is an additional reason I want to be sure that the programming language and database will not cut my choice of possible future hosts too much.

CartikaHosting wrote:
trenqo, I have done a bit of research here, and I think a "good bet" may be http://www.diyhosting.com and http://www.web.com. They both offer dual platform windows/linux reseller plans and it "appears" as though they both support python.

A dual platform h-sphere environment would give you flexibility of multiple DB's and scripting platforms.

Thanks for the advice, but I have to admit that I’m a bit confused.
I looked around, and even did a google site search for python and found nothing on either site. In any case, diyhosting seems a bit too expensive to start off with.

I’m starting to think that I may have to go with php, though I’m not sure if I’ll use ordinary files or mysql as the database. I have been recommended godaddy by some as a cheap reliable host to start off with, and it supports both (like most other hosts). Also, 100webspace.com seems like a decent free solution, at least for testing purposes, which also supports both. Would you say that either of these would make sense (as a starting point) considering my needs?
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Posts: 455
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Would you say that either of these would make sense (as a starting point) considering my needs?


I think any choice would suffice for what you are trying to do. I wouldnt trust either of these once you start growing your traffic - however, for starting off and development purposes - I most certainly believe these will work.

You do not want to end up on an unreliable service once your site starts growing, as losing visitors is a costly venture.

End of the day, your needs and budget will dictate your path. If you want full flexibility of scripting languages and DB options, as well as reliability and support, it will obviously cost you more then a free host offering just php/mysql and limited support.

However, as you stated, if you are willing to narrow your needs down to php/MySQL and support and reliability arent overly important during the developmental phase, then I most certainly agree that a free or really inexpensive hosting account will certainly suffice....

Post Information

  • Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum
  • You cannot post attachments in this forum
 
 

© 1998-2014. Ozzu® is a registered trademark of Unmelted, LLC.