Hosting company running 652 websites on 1 server!

• Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

After some research I've found that Startlogic Inc is running 652 websites off of their st17 server. This is insane!

This also explains why they cancelled my account for using 30GB of bandwidth saying I crippled their network!

I just want to let everyone know about this...I would strongly recommend using a different host. If you don't believe the numbers, you can start where I started....

http://www.whois.sc/66.235.193.158
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

The fact that they are hosting that many websites really doesnt have much to do with it. Ive seen servers with 1000's of sites have no problems at all, while some single sites are too much for a server.

Having said this, your situation sounds alot like overselling - where a company offers huge amounts of space and bandwith for nominal amounts of money, then accuses users of being abusive, long before they reach their resource limit. The problem really isnt space and bandwith, rather its CPU and RAM - and when this gets dramatically oversold, then any clients using more then their "fair share" are usually asked to upgrade to much more expensive plans.

If you really want to use what you pay for, you should be shopping in the $1/GB of bandwith range - this is especially true if you are running database driven applications....
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm actually running a dedicated box from LunarPages and I've been pretty happy thus far. They had an attack on the network a few days ago and I was down for a few hours in the morning, but that aside it is worth the $175/month I'm paying.

I agree that it is CPU usage and RAM, but the bandwidth consumption relates to that directly in my case. I was transfering serveral (10,000) small (5-20K) files, so I was using a few open processes and they couldn't handle it when put up next to the other 651 sites.

I've heard otherwise as far as the 1000 sites/server thing. I've come up with 100 as a good industry standard from various contacts over the years. Hosting more than a couple hundred sites would really get intensive.

I disagree to $1/GB. This is quite high. A gig/month costs less than a penny to transfer for any decent datacenter, even on high-quality lines. I think it is a bit much to pay a 1,000% increase. I would expect 250GB for $6 to be a crock of sh*t, but $250 for the same plan is outrageous.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I'm actually running a dedicated box from LunarPages and I've been pretty happy thus far. They had an attack on the network a few days ago and I was down for a few hours in the morning, but that aside it is worth the $175/month I'm paying.

I agree that it is CPU usage and RAM, but the bandwidth consumption relates to that directly in my case. I was transfering serveral (10,000) small (5-20K) files, so I was using a few open processes and they couldn't handle it when put up next to the other 651 sites.

Gotcha - quite typical in that situation (scary really)

Quote:
I've heard otherwise as far as the 1000 sites/server thing. I've come up with 100 as a good industry standard from various contacts over the years. Hosting more than a couple hundred sites would really get intensive.

Nah - there really is ALOT of factors here. What sort of hardware are you talking about, what configuration, what sorts of sites are they?

You can easily run 2000 static html sites with an allocated 2-3 GB transfer on a dual xeon server and it wouldnt break a sweat.

Alternatively, you may not be able to run a single DB intensive site on a dual xeon server pushing 200-300 gigs...

Also, lots of other considerations - is this an all in wonder box (http, dns, email, control panel, db all on 1 box) or is this a cluster (web, db, cp, email, dns, etc each on one or more server)

We run a cluster, with dual xeon servers and I can assure you that 200 DB driven sites on a dedicated web server wont even break a sweat on a dual xeon box. Again, this is assuming sites with allocation limits on bandwith (ie utilization) -

It really depends if these domains have been allocated 10 GB or 100 GB - I would be quite scared to have 200 DB driven sites on a web server, each allocated 100 GB transfer. However, 200-300 typical DB driven sites, each allocated 10-15 GB is not a big deal at all. We have 6 or so web servers meeting that config, and load averages never approach 1.00 - heck, loads hardly ever even approach 1.00.
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with Cartika. A domain guru can easily host and/or park 5,000 domains on a server without adversely affecting other users. However 1 resource (CPU & RAM) intensive site could cripple a Dual Xeon with 4GB DDR RAM and require the database to be on one ore more servers.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would also like to add that a single IP could be a VIP (Virtual IP) for some server load balancing schema, utilizing several back-end real servers each hosting a portion of the total.

Though, that is probably not the case here. :)
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

Which reminds me that the tools used for determing this data are often inaccurrate/outdated.

Daemonguy wrote:
I would also like to add that a single IP could be a VIP (Virtual IP) for some server load balancing schema, utilizing several back-end real servers each hosting a portion of the total.

Though, that is probably not the case here. :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts