•  
    No

Hosting FAQ

• penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned
  • Loc: Behind you !

Post 3+ Months Ago

Below are some frequently asked questions regarding Hosting related issues.

I want hosting But what should I choose?

There are 3 main types of hosting, Shared webhosting , A virtual private server (VPS, also referred to as Virtual Dedicated Server or VDS) or Dedicated server hosting.

Shared Hosting

Shared hosting - This form of web hosting should suffice for People new to webhosting. Also people with very few hits / visits

Shared hosting simply refers to the fact that your site is on one server, and that this server hosts mulitple sites. You are shared - your site will not be the only one on this specific server.

Vps Hosting

These types of hosting accounts are usually used as a bridge between your basic shared hosting and dedicated hosting. You get all of the benefits of having your own dedicated machine, but you still have some limits as to what you can do with it. If shared hosting is to small, and dedicated hosting to large, you can consider VPS hosting as being just right for you.

Dedicated hosting

With a dedicated server you have full control over everything. There is no longer any CPU Usage restriction. If you need, you can use up 100% CPU utilization, and a dedicated usually means smoother running for your website(s)

Only websites which use high amounts of bandwidth, storage and cpu usage should move to a dedicated server. There are two types of dedicated plans.

1) Managed: Your host will offer you help in making sure your server is upgraded when needed, Fixed when problems arise and patched on a regualar basis. This option is good for people with limited server skills but this will cost a lot more.

2) Unmanaged: Your host will not offer any help or support with your server. Whilst this is cheaper than a managed server you should only choose this option if you are well versed with how a server functions.

My host offers me unlimited bandwidth

unlimited offerings are usually just an advertising gimmick. As hosting companies and their associated technologies are themselves limited so it's not possible for them to provide anything at an unlimited quantity.

Before even thinking about signing up to one of these plans. Make sure that you read the T.O.S ( Terms of service)

How Do I Register a Domain Name?

This is very simple to do, firstly you will need to make sure the domain is still avalible. To do this go to http://www.who.is and enter the domain name you would like. When you have choosen a name go to http://www.godaddy.com and you can purchase your domain name.

Do I need a dedicated IP?

In most cases, a dedicated IP is not required. But for people that want to provide anonymous FTP or a website using SSL, a dedicated IP can make that easier.

Do I have to change my domain if I get a new host?

No you do not. Provided that the domain is registered in your name all you need to do is update your nameservers. ( you update your nameservers from where you manage your domains(s)from)

What are subdomains?

A subdomain name is an extension from your main domain name. For example, your website http://www.testwebsite.com a subdomain would be http://www.hello.testwebsite.com

Subdomains are usually used as separate sites from the main domain site.

What is uptime?

Uptime is the amount of time your site is online throughout the month. The best uptime would be 100%, but things can go wrong so hosts usually offer 99.9% uptime.

If the uptime guarantee is not met the host will offer you a refund of some sort.

How can I pay for web hosting?

Most web hosts will accept credit cards, and some will accept PayPal and/or a Money Order / Check.

Will there be forced advertising on my site - things like banner ads or popup ads?

No adds will be placed on your website. This is space you are paying for, you are the only person who can choose to place adds onto your website.

What is the difference between UNIX hosting and Windows hosting?

Depending on which operating system to go with depends on what your needs are. If you use products such as ASP, MS Access, or VBScript Then windows hosting would suit you better.

Linux is much more common with web hosts due to it's great stability and because it is free. Also becuase its free means that Linux hosting is cheaper than windows hosting.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hope this helps, If people feel there is something missing could you please post it in here, could you also leave any feedback and vote on that FAQ?

- thanks
  • boilingpoint
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'ver come here from another thread, and my point is that unlimited and unmetered are two different things. I wouldn't go for a host who says"unlimited", but "unmetered" is absolutely technically possible.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unmetered everything is and has a limit. The host themselfs have a limit so they can't provide unmetered anything.

Look at it this way.

They may claim to offer unmetered but its not possible, you will get knocked back by your CPU usage or something else.

So f i host a site and need 100TB unmetered bandwidth, you think thet could handle that?
  • boilingpoint
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just lemme send you to the hosting faq to show the difference between these two things
http://whreviews.com/unmetered-shared-bandwidth.htm
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see what you are saying, Like anything Unmetered has limits. I may update my FAQ with something about this.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts