hosting a game server

• jonathaw
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: newfoundland, canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi all,

i know this may be slightly off-topic, but bare with me for a second.

my brother is very involved in the online game counterstrike (the half-life mod). lately he's been dissatisfied with the quality of servers he has been finding and wants to start his own server. he's been talking to this guy online who is willing to rent his server space to my brother for x dollars a month. but the guy is in the u.s. (we're in canada) and the lack of some kind of business-like contract leaves me to believe that this whole thing is a little underhanded, so....

i'm wondering what he would need to start up his own server to host the game. i'm trying to steer him towards a local company but i know very little about this stuff.

without getting specific for this game (although if you want to, go right ahead!), what is he going to need to set this all up? any advice on how much bandwidth he'll need? what is a going rate for the hosted server space? any information would be much apprechiated.

thanks
jonathan
  • HiVelocity
  • Born
  • Born
  • HiVelocity
  • Loc: Tampa Fl

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should look for a host that has multiple redundant carrers to several networks , so that he should be able get a low ping from many different locations.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bandwith will depend on how many player slots he wants. My brother and i host 3 CS 1.6 servers on a single 8mbps download and 1.2mpbs upload connection fom cox internet. We have each one set up to have up to 32 slots if only one server is on. If we have all three we can only have 14-16 slot servers. It is a lot of work to get one set up yourself. The best bet is to use a hosting company like ngservers.net We are going to be having them host a CSS server and a CS server in the near future. Our I.P. if you want to check out one of the servers is 68.231.89.17:27020 | 68.231.89.17:27015 | 68.231.89.17:27016

if you have any other ?'s just ask.
  • rDolay
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • rDolay

Post 3+ Months Ago

if i were you i'll Go http://www.insomnia365.com/ and pick a server from there 8)
Also you may ask this question to them as pre-sales question
They are setuping game server according to your need without a pain.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts