Hosting NewBie - Have a public IP etc

• Tokunbo
  • Student
  • Student
  • Tokunbo
  • Loc: Applications Developer

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi guys,

I want to host a site....my own for a start.

I use a Laptop, have winXP installed, EasyPHP(Apache, MySQL PHP) and I have a public IP. I know a little HTML etc and have designed the webpages...with some info about myself.....

How do I get this site onto the internet...definitely when I put off my PC, the site goes off too.....as in how can friends view the webpage from my pc....while sitting behind an internet facility of their own.

please help
Tokunbo
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am trying to discern your requirements.

If you intend to host your website off your laptop, that's fine, but it will have to be up all the time. (Obviously)

So either host it off your laptop while you are online; get a dynamic DNS provider like myserver.org to provide you with a static host.domain name for your DHCP assigned address.

OR

Find yourself an inexpensive host for your site.

Having said that, let me state to all would-be spammers on this forum:

DO NOT spam this thread with your hosting offers. DO send this individual a PM regarding what you provide and for what price.
Any hosting offer published to this thread will be summarily deleted.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Tokunbo,

If this is just a basic html site - you can probably look around for a free host - you could probably even get a free sub domain or folder or something and just ftp your site up and away you go. I dont think you would need paid hosting at this point...
  • Tokunbo
  • Student
  • Student
  • Tokunbo

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks guys for all the replies,

Yes, I would go for Daemonguys reply and host it off my laptop while im online. I use a public IP......as in my modem does DHCP......checking my ipconfig etc....I have a dns server address and an alternate too.

what else do I need.
Tokunbo
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, if you have an Internet addressable IP, you can always start your services and have your friends connect to that IP;
http://69.42.X.X/

(You *did* say you had a public IP, right?)

Additionally, if you would rather have them connect to http://tokunbo.myserver.org, or something of the like, you can use dynamic DNS providers, one of which is myserver.org. (Free).

You run an app on your client which lets myserver.org know you are up and running, and it in-turn advertises your DHCP assigned address as a translated DNS qualified name.

Cheers.
  • Tokunbo
  • Student
  • Student
  • Tokunbo

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the info........

I'll do the myserver.org as you said....but whats the application that will connect me to myserver.org?

ill visit the site and let u in on an update.

thanks
Toks
  • Tokunbo
  • Student
  • Student
  • Tokunbo

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi there,

OK, Ive finally installed the DynamicDNS.msi software from MyServer.org website and the FireDaemon tool. The installation went well, and I followed the install-guide to configure it.

I am able to connect to MyServer.org and I have configured it as a Service using the Firedaemon tool. Trying to access the domain name from another PC on my LAN, i get the "gateway timeout error".

I have no firewalls in place. I used the port sniffing tool on the website and I have the following results: :Unable to detect server" error on the following ports: 21, 23, 25, 80, 110, 119, 143, 443, 5631, 6667, 7000, 8080

Also please note that my external routable IP detected by MyServer.org tool is not the same as the Ipaddress assigned dynamically by my router to my PCs. Im on WinXP.

please what do I do next.
regards
Toks
  • Tokunbo
  • Student
  • Student
  • Tokunbo

Post 3+ Months Ago

please can someone help me out.............

toks

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts