hosting own web server

• basikstuff
  • Born
  • Born
  • basikstuff

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey everyone, just joined to get a little help with this.

now, i DO know how to setup a webserver.
what i want to know is if the following process is correct for setting up a toplevel domain.

so the domain i have is registered through godaddy and i want to use my webserver with it.
i was looking at dyndns and came across their custom dns service.
can i use dyndns to setup the domain to look at their nameservers? so i do not have to host with godaddy.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does your ISP allow you to host a web server? I doubt it, but you can ask.
  • rllunzmann
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • rllunzmann
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Post 3+ Months Ago

What type of web server will you be using? IIS? Apache? etc..
  • kal
  • Born
  • Born
  • kal

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi guys,

I want the same boys, I wann learn how to host a website on my own computer, and what are the things I need for the purpose (softwares, configurations, etc) can somebody explain me step by step procedure to do it.

what operating system do I need?
I am using Windows XP SP2 at the moment, will that be fine or I have to change it to the server edition.

please. give me step by step procedure.

Thanks inadvance.

Kal
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hosting your own webserver on a premise-style connection is , more often than not, prohibited by your TOS (Terms of Service).

If you are planning on using it for anything more than playing, (ie. business purpose) then it is simply foolish. Your upload speeds (the bandwidth potential customers would utilize in their 'downloading' of your content) is generally limited even on large pipe customer premise packages.

As for the first question, you need to have someone as authoritative for the domain which you add your DNS resolvers. Once you get that set up, it's merely a task of pairing IP's with names.

Onto Kal; uh, no. This is not something I would think to provide step by step. This is a forum used by professionals and frankly there are far too many variables which would consume a start-to-finish document. Short answer is, if you don't know how to do it, lookup in Google and follow one of the countless "how-to" documents found on the internet. They are simply outside the scope of what this forum is for.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts