Hosting my site on my server.

• Dann325
  • Born
  • Born
  • Dann325

Post 3+ Months Ago

In the past when I had a server a friends of mine rented a domain from godaddy and hosted the site on my server. Well now i have a server again and am looking to use the same method but im a little confused on the proccess. My way of thinking was that all i needed was to set up a ftp cleint and then rent a domain from
godaddy then simply link the domain to the ip address and it would work but i guess i was offbase there.

My server os windows 2003 server

Thanks for the help!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Where is your server located? If it is at at home, you may have a problem with your ISP.
  • Dann325
  • Born
  • Born
  • Dann325

Post 3+ Months Ago

naw, i rent it. http://www.serverbeach.com
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Then it shouldn't be a problem as long you have a registered domain and it is in agreement with their TOS (terms of service). serverbeach.com's domain name server will resolve the name to IP address.
  • Dann325
  • Born
  • Born
  • Dann325

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok,, so step one would be go get my domain name from whom ever (Suggetions? i generally use godaddy)

Step two do what? You said server beaches dns will resolve. sorry to sound really really dumb but so i open my dns panel and do what?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Godaddy is ok, I guess. If you want privacy, use domainsbyproxy.com Networksolutions is another one.
The next step is to tell serverbeach that you are going to use them to host the site. They will tell you how to upload your site and get started.

I just looked at their site. It doesn't say anything about web hosting so I would call them first.
  • Dann325
  • Born
  • Born
  • Dann325

Post 3+ Months Ago

think there is a missunderstanding.. see im not looking for webspace... i have a server.. i rent the server, what im trying to do is rent my domain name from exp. "godaddy" and use my server to host the webspace for running the site.
ServerBeach are the ppl i rent my server through. It Runs on windows 2003 i use remote access to use it. So what im trying to figure out is How do i set up my server so that i can host my site, the reasoning behind all this is im starting a website, very high traffic and lots of storage/band. so i felt the best solution would be running the server myself.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

If serverbeach's servers can you be used as a web server, then you can ftp your site to that server. What I'm not sure of is who's Domain Name Server is going to point your URL to that IP address.
Web hosting companies do that for you. I don't know how it would work with serverbeach which is why I suggest you contact them and ask them.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Step 1. Gather requirements for your software and ensure OS is updated properly.

Step 2. Install web software and all related application ware/ middleware required. Ensure not only individual functionality, but additionally app to app communication.

Step 3. Once the server is up and functional at the IP you received from serverbeach, obtain DNS services to point your name at your IP. You can either do this via services offered or by running your own DNS (If you choose the latter, begin again at step 1.) Ensure DNS is set up for all requisite services; mail, ftpd, etc. If you need to colo these services on your same dedicated server, ensure those packages are installed and functional -- return to step 1.

Step 4. Once the IP resolves to your domain name, ensure all services also resolve, mail via MX records, ftp ports, etc.

If any of this makes no sense to you, or you have no idea how to set those up, hire someone who does OR dump the dedicated server and buy hosting services from people who do.

Cheers.
  • boilingpoint
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can get the detailed instructions from the post above, I just wanted to add that yopu may try other domain registrars besides godaddy.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts