Hosting a site

• WTF-AComputer
  • Student
  • Student
  • WTF-AComputer
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I was to host a site. How would this work.

I would obviously purchase a domain name.

How do I get the site onto the domain. I have no idea how this process works.

Could someone give me a quick step by step?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• tastysite
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Brighouse, West Yorkshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well you have to also buy a host as well as a doman name once you do that you need to download a program that uploads files to the web (souds complected I know but its easy realy) theres lots of free ones I use on called fileZilla http://filezilla-project.org/ then your hosting provider should send you an e-mail explaining things like your password which will be along the lines of DEWrr4e9DEX or whatever(filezilla rembers this for you) and you just drag and drop the folders and it well put em on the web and it only takes seconds! You main problem is the paying the hosting costs also rember stuff link bandwidth come into play.
Ide like to recommend one to you but I used to use one called 123-reg but had a problem about php so I'm looking out for a new better one.

Hope this helps!
  • WTF-AComputer
  • Student
  • Student
  • WTF-AComputer

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are all these things expensive?
  • tastysite
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Brighouse, West Yorkshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

WTF-AComputer wrote:
Are all these things expensive?

Depends on what you think expensive is? I know of one you can get for about £50 - $72 USD
  • WTF-AComputer
  • Student
  • Student
  • WTF-AComputer

Post 3+ Months Ago

Like the entire thing? Isin't their a yearly rate aswell?
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

WTF-AComputer wrote:
Could someone give me a quick step by step?

1. Purchase your domain name(s).
You can use any domain registrar you'd like for this. Domains are purchased on a yearly basis, and you should look for one with a price range of about $6 - $10 USD per year for a typical .com domain. Anything more than that is just unreasonable.

Do not worry about trying to find a registrar that also doubles as a hosting company; the two can be completely independent. Be sure to provide accurate contact information when registering your domains and familiarize yourself with the registrar's particular domain management interface, as you'll be using it later on to configure your hosting.

2. Purchase a shared hosting account.
Since you're just starting out, chances are you won't need any sort of dedicated hosting just yet. Shared hosting accounts are generally cheap regardless of what company you choose. Many will claim to offer "unlimited" storage space and bandwidth, but keep in mind that since you are sharing a machine's resources with other sites, the net effect typically won't be "unlimited". Read the contract before you sign up.

Hosting can be purchased on a monthly basis. In most cases, a "basic" plan will be enough to get you started. These range anywhere from $3 - $10 USD per month and include most of the basic things you'll need to get started, such as CGI, database, and scripting language support.

Many hosting companies will offer a choice between Windows and Linux hosting. Your choice here depends largely on how you plan to develop your website. If you'll be using PHP, Ruby on Rails, and other open source scripting languages, than Linux is your weapon of choice. If you require ASP.NET and other Microsoft products, you'll want Windows. Linux servers usually use Apache while Windows servers ususally use IIS.

When you sign up for hosting, you may be presented with the option to specify a domain for which this hosting will be used. Be sure to list your domain name (or primary domain name, if you have more than one) here.

3. Point your domain(s) to your hosting account.
To do this, you must set the nameservers for your domain name to the ones provided to your by your hositng provider. You can usually obtain these nameservers by logging in to your hosting account through the administrative interface they provide. The nameservers will be either a set of IP addresses (i.e. 123.456.789, 765.432.109) or a set of domains (i.e. ns1.hostingcompany.com, ns2.hostingcompany.com). Take note of these nameservers and log into your account with your domain registrar. You will be given the option to set/change the nameservers for your domain(s). At this point you set the nameservers to the ones provided to you by your hosting company.

4. Wait.
It may take up to 24 hours (possibly longer) for your domain name to propogate throughout the DNS system, so you won't immediatly be able to access your website by its domain. If you're unable to access your site after two days, you may have done something wrong. Call up your hosting company and verify that everything is in order.

5. Upload your website.
While it's possible to upload your website before your domains have propogated, having a working domain makes it easier since some hosts won't let you access your website by an IP address. Once you're ready to upload your website, obtain your FTP account information from your hosting account and log in with the FTP client of your choice. Copy your files from your local machine to your hosting account. Your changes should be visible by visiting your domain name in a browser. If your see your website, you're all set.
  • WTF-AComputer
  • Student
  • Student
  • WTF-AComputer

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see. Alright well all my site is for.

I is basicly made for my Church youth group to see what date our activities are on. It is going to be a single page probably with maybe 15 visitors a week... (MAX)

I posted a picture of it somewhere on here. I'll look for it and post it here so you can see it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts