Hosting a site with or without Flash?

• XKEC
  • XKEC
  • Loc: London, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have hosted a site for just over a year now and started adding Flash content to the home page. My assumption is that when a visitor doesn't have a Flashplayer installed that they will recieve an automated notice stating that Flashplayer x is required to view this content?

Some of the visitors also appear to be viewing from their work locations, where certain aspects are firewalled out due to corporate policies. These people do not see any messages or warnings, but just have blank spaces where the Flash content should be.

So my question is, is it common practice to have two web versions running for a site; one that runs Flash and one that doesn't? e.g. visitor goes to site and there is a mesage which says "if you can see this then click here and if you can't then click here". Those that can see it go to the "Flash" designed site, those that cannot go to the "non-Flash" site.

For me this is a headache though because I'd have to manage two different sites using the same content but one with and one without Flash.

Any advise on what I should do, or your experiences is very much appreciated.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
My assumption is that when a visitor doesn't have a Flashplayer installed that they will recieve an automated notice stating that Flashplayer x is required to view this content?

Some of the visitors also appear to be viewing from their work locations, where certain aspects are firewalled out due to corporate policies. These people do not see any messages or warnings, but just have blank spaces where the Flash content should be.

You should maybe check this, at the very least.
  • XKEC
  • XKEC
  • Loc: London, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

dyefade wrote:

You should maybe check this, at the very least.

Not sure I understand your reply! :shock:

Let me explain again in case it wasn't clear.

(1) I assume that those visitors that do not have a Flashplayer installed will see a message stating something along the lines that Flashplayer is required to view the content if they enter a site where Flash components have been used. Can anyone please confirm?

(2) For those visitors accessing from their place of business, these messages might be firewalled out and so are just met with blank portions on the screen where the Flash content is, but are non the wiser why the area is blank. Therefore, do web designers generally cater for this by offering 2 websites for their designs, one with Flash and one without, giving the visitor the option to choose?
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

My point is, why are you "assuming" anything, and why are you asking here for people to confirm? It's your site: you are the one who has to check!

As for the issue of flash vs non-flash vs both:
Either
you just disregard all people who don't use flash/don't have it installed/can't install it,
or
you design your site in such a way as that if the flash is missing it does not affect the site too drastically,
or
you build two copies of the site, one for flash users, one for non-flash users.

If you do opt for the final approach, an elegant solution would be to display the flash version by default, then detect (maybe via js), whether the user has flash installed, and if they don't, offer to redirect them to the non-flash site.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Or a spalsh page which lets the user decide for himself/herself if they want to view flash or html.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts