Voting Chart

Total votes : 3

Are You Completly Satisfied with your Host?

•  
    YES
  •  
    NO

Hosting: Statisfaction or Frustration

• kanexpo
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Geneva, Bangkok

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

I have had three hosting companies so far under which I gave home to my domains.

What I realized is with all of the three hosts is that when it came to a technical question where the host actually agreed to install it for me it came to problems.

1.) EagerHost will backup my databases for the forum. I ask them if it were possible, they said Yes, yes we will do it for you. Result, lost one day of sales (all pages down), no forum restored, no replies in the ticket system. Which this Host actually never refunded my money back for the unused months (over 200$). No reply to my tickets.

2.) Name Removed, I asked them to install the Secure Certificate which I bought under secure.domain.com. Result, some lost time, page not working completly.

I can't understand how hard it is to follow some basic customer instructions. When I say, "Re-Install the IPB Forum", they answer with "We have succesfully installed and backed up your forum". But after checking I see a PHPBB2 Forum, with nothing backed up.

With the Secure Certificate, it works for secure.domain.com but the whole domain other than the /secure folder is not wokring, I get the CPanel No Wepage Configured page.

I re-opened a ticket and gave detailed instructions, like explaining it to a 5 year old. Hoping for a positive reply.

Do yoy also have problems with your host? Can a host be reliable? Don't hosts understand that downtime = loss? Do they even care?

Simple Stuff like, I need my Secure Certificate on secure.domain.com and only that, but the whole page gets shut down and I receive the answer " everything works now crap".

It seems like monkeys are on the other end of the line and are capable of only answering very simple questions.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• mabdr2
  • Student
  • Student
  • mabdr2

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's the difference between a host who cares and one who does not.

It's tough finding a good web host...that's why I opened my own company.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's why I lease my own servers, am responsible for my own backups, and only sell hosting to friends I've had for a few years.

I lease my own server because, after using several hosting companies, there's simply no substitute. I'd find it REAL difficult to go back to a regular (non-root, heh), hosting account.

I sell space to friends because I don't want them getting ripped off by the many scam hosting companies out there that oversell, etc.
  • kanexpo
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe wrote:
That's why I lease my own servers, am responsible for my own backups, and only sell hosting to friends I've had for a few years.

I lease my own server because, after using several hosting companies, there's simply no substitute. I'd find it REAL difficult to go back to a regular (non-root, heh), hosting account.

I sell space to friends because I don't want them getting ripped off by the many scam hosting companies out there that oversell, etc.

which makes me think.. how do you lease servers? will i get away with 300 bucks a year? can you recomand me a good leasor.

do i need a great knowledge of php/apache/mysql cram to get through?

thanks axe
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

You're looking more like 300 bucks/mo for a good server :)

Yes, you need Linux system administration experience, which includes knowing PHP/Apache/MySQL configuration (as well as SMTP, POP3, FTP, Domain Name services, etc).
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Can a host be reliable? Don't hosts understand that downtime = loss? Do they even care?

Yes, some do - sadly, there are many that dont..

May I ask what you are paying for your hosting and how many resources you are receiving?

Quote:
I don't want them getting ripped off by the many scam hosting companies out there that oversell, etc.

BINGO !!!

I used to be really upset with the way some hosting companies ran their business - then came to realize that they are products of consumer demand. Companies need to make money to survive, and sadly, most of them follow the philosophy that lower prices equals more clients. Clients are constantly demanding lower prices, and some businesses are meeting that demand. Sadly, in order to countinually lower prices, service suffers in other areas....

On one hand, I want to grab some companies by the shoulder and shake them - on the other hand, Ive started to ask consumers why they countinually shop for cheap service then complain that the servers are oversold and that the hosts arent adequately staffed to support them....
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

kanexpo wrote:
Hello,

Do yoy also have problems with your host? Can a host be reliable? Don't hosts understand that downtime = loss? Do they even care?

I'll host it. Guaranteed 100% availability, 24/7 with no maintenance windows. :)

Course, it's gonna cost several hundred arms and legs. :) Heh.
  • kanexpo
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

i pay like 30bucks a month for 12gig 100bw etc.

btw deamonguy, i;ve heared that so much now already *yawn* always those sayings "24/7 support, 99.9% uptime) but in the end,,,,

:D
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:

Theres your problem - to put that in perspective - we charge $175/month for similar specs - and publish proof of countinually achieving this target
Quote:
99.9% uptime
right on our site... Anyone can make a claim - as you said, they all do - however, very few can meet it - and the reason very few companies can meet and exceed 99.9% uptime on a consistant basis is their pricing model...

Quote:
btw deamonguy, i;ve heared that so much now already *yawn* always those sayings "24/7 support, 99.9% uptime) but in the end,,,,

Even better perspective for you - deamonguy works for IBM. If you thought I was expensive - LOL - im fairly certain the specs youre looking for with full load balancing, 100% uptime SLA, fail over for maintenance, etc - will be somewhere in the $7000-$10000 range... (please correct me if Im wrong daemonguy)
  • kanexpo
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

didnt mean yawn to deamonguy, :) hes great, yawn to all those webhosting companies out there telling how good they are.

well since im only a dirt poor student thtas what i can afford. will buy one of those 7000$ stuff when im rich in a few years.

:)
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

CartikaHosting wrote:
Quote:

Theres your problem - to put that in perspective - we charge $175/month for similar specs - and publish proof of countinually achieving this target
Quote:
99.9% uptime
right on our site... Anyone can make a claim - as you said, they all do - however, very few can meet it - and the reason very few companies can meet and exceed 99.9% uptime on a consistant basis is their pricing model...

Quote:

Even better perspective for you - deamonguy works for IBM. If you thought I was expensive - LOL - im fairly certain the specs youre looking for with full load balancing, 100% uptime SLA, fail over for maintenance, etc - will be somewhere in the $7000-$10000 range... (please correct me if Im wrong daemonguy)

:)

10k per month? That's a bit on the low side for us. :) However, well worth it for those customers who wish that level of service. ;)
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
well since im only a dirt poor student thtas what i can afford. will buy one of those 7000$ stuff when im rich in a few years.

Fair enough - but, let me ask you something...

Since youre already spending $30 a month - may I ask if you actually need that much space and bandwith - my point was, take that $30 youre spending, and find a more reasonable package for that money with a provider that has a better business model...

Hopefully this helps...
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have to agree with Cartika. You are as much to blame as the *plum* hosts you selected. Revaluate your selection process and you won't have these problems. Absent a special offering for a limited time, no reputable host that gives a damn about their clients are going to perpetuate $30/mo 12GB/100GB plans as a sustainable business model.
  • Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I'm satisfied. I'm getting hosted with your website :D.
Lol :lol:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts