Hosting With OScommerce?

• Redcell
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Loveland, Colorado

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can someone who is using OScommerce or a spin off cart, please suggest a host to me? We are running Go Daddy right now and we are having problems getting OScommerce to install on their server. Any help would be great!
Thanks!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

i've used:
ehostpros
hostway
pair
varhosting.net

and for oscommerce i would have to go with ehostpros. i had a few problems with hostway (mainly speed problems. the server i was on was very slow) but their uptime was the best (it was not down once).
pair was also very reliable but they didn't have any way to edit the mysql databases and i had a few other little problems. it is the hardest host i've ever tired to get oscommerce to run on. varhosting is very cheap and i use them for test accounts. they are down to often to recommend them to you. and ehostpros has been pretty good. they have been down for a total of about 12 hours in the year i have been with them. i don't like the fact safe mod is on. but it's a little better for security.

oscommerce is very easy to setup on any host with cpanel.
varhosting and ehostpros use cpanel
  • Redcell
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

What do you think of iPowerweb? Is there a secret to setting it up on Go Daddy? I would really like to just keep it there!!! Thanks though!
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Moved to the web hosting forum....

Regarding your osCommerce hosting requirement - you really need to be careful with application hosting - or - at the very least - you need to accept that you will not be able to use all the resources you purchase.

There is a significant difference between bandwith used on static sites and DB driven sites.

Companies like iPowerweb are famous for suspending sites for "exceeding reasonable server resources" - even though users have not even approached their allocated resource limits...

Re: GoDaddy - they more then likely have register_globals disabled - osCommerce hasnt quite caught up yet with other apps and still requires register_globals.

You might want to try Zen Cart (a very nice spinoff to osCommerce). It will run with register_globals off and should run on godaddy servers - otherwise, simply switch hosts..

Hope this helps...
  • harryhood
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • harryhood

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can turn register globals on or off for a local domain by using .htaccess or a local php.ini if the server is runnin phpsuexec.
  • jmweb
  • Student
  • Student
  • jmweb
  • Loc: 127.0.0.1

Post 3+ Months Ago

A lot of hosts (like us) whom use cPanel will be able to offer you free single click installation of osCommerce. Couple clicks of the mouse and its installed :)
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

jmweb wrote:
A lot of hosts (like us) whom use cPanel will be able to offer you free single click installation of osCommerce. Couple clicks of the mouse and its installed :)

This isnt isolated to cPanel - however, I would always recommend a manual install - takes 5 mins and the results are significantly superior..
  • jmweb
  • Student
  • Student
  • jmweb
  • Loc: 127.0.0.1

Post 3+ Months Ago

CartikaHosting wrote:
jmweb wrote:

This isnt isolated to cPanel - however, I would always recommend a manual install - takes 5 mins and the results are significantly superior..

Agreed. Manual installation is suggested over an auto install.
  • Redcell
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can someone please tell me what "register_globals" are?
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Register globals are a "directive" within php.

The world is moving away from register globals - if they arent used properly, they can create vulnerabilities...

As of php 4.2.0, register globals is off by default in php - previously, they were on by default.

Alot of applications still rely on register globals and as such, we are in a bit of a transition period. Some hosts choose to have them off, however, the majority are keeping them on for now - simply because alot of the more common apps still require them (ie osCommerce)

You can read more about this here:

http://ca3.php.net/register_globals
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

Godaddy and Yahoo hosting are best suited for the webmaster who really just wants to be able to say I've got a website. Sophisticated webmasters who wish to grow their sites and/or rely on them will find these types of hosts severely lacking when trying to use or install many features commonly found on traditional hosts.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts