Hosting your own Server

• bigaboys
  • Born
  • Born
  • bigaboys

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi sorry but i dont know how to host my own server.

I have Apache 2.2, i have php 5.something and i have mysql, i bought my .com off godaddy, but i dont want to pay someone a month to host my site if i can do it myself.

What is my first step? how do i take my .com off godaddy and make it that people access my site off my pc?

Really would appreciate any help, just need to be pointed into the right direction please
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Many ISPs block port 80 in order to stop home users from running servers. It's not part of the Terms Of Service. You have to pay either way.
  • bigaboys
  • Born
  • Born
  • bigaboys

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you but sorry thats not helpful because it doesnt tell me how i can host my own webspace, i know i need to pay for bandwidth either way.

BUT

My main question is how do i put my "website" on my "computer"?

opening port 80 just means people are allowed to come into my computer right?

I dont need to know that right now i just need to know how i can take my "parked" website off GODADDY and "park" it on my computer.
  • gu3
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NCL- England

Post 3+ Months Ago

as Don2007 said if they block you form using port 80 it will never work so there is no point in setting it up. he was trying to save you time.
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Honestly, hosting your website on your own computer is very impractical. Unless you're just planning on using it for experimentation, I wouldn't even attempt it (even then, it's a big hassle).
  • gu3
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NCL- England

Post 3+ Months Ago

yer i meen there is plenty of cheap hosting around these days so why put yourself though all the bother when it will most likly end up costing you more than the hosting...
  • azmo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

don't know about your country, but in sweden all (I think) internet delivers offers you like 25mb free server space on their server, that's how I host mine
  • alemcherry
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • alemcherry

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hosting your own site is not really worth the efforts. Just the electricity/ISp costs will be more than a cheap $5 per month host. Please note that most ISPs offer poor upload speed, which translates to slow loading sites for outside users.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you really want to do it, then you have to have web server software installed on your PC and you need to register a domain name with one of the registrars.
IIS and Apache are two popular web server software applications.
  • john551
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • john551

Post 3+ Months Ago

bigaboys wrote:
Hi sorry but i dont know how to host my own server.

I have Apache 2.2, i have php 5.something and i have mysql, i bought my .com off godaddy, but i dont want to pay someone a month to host my site if i can do it myself.

What is my first step? how do i take my .com off godaddy and make it that people access my site off my pc?

Really would appreciate any help, just need to be pointed into the right direction please

If you want to make your pc a live server, the first thing you will need is secure your server by setting up a strong firewall. The moment your server is live and is not properly secured, it will be vulnerable to thousands preying scripts on the net.

You will need to set up your DNS, which will point your domain to your server. You will need to have a static IP. And as mentioned above, you will need port 80 not blocked by your ISP.
  • Tonzilit
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you don't know how to host your server you may hire an admin that can do it for you.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sometimes it is practical to host your site on your own server. I host my company's website on our own inhouse server. But keep in mind, this is a site for a corporation.

If you are trying to host a personal .com for yourself, you have to consider several things in expense.

First of all I'll echo john551 with his advice. Start with a good hardware firewall. Prices vary but can range anywhere from $300-$400 to as much as $1000 or more.

Then you'll need to consider the webserver itself. Realistically you should consider nothing less than a server class machine and an operating system that does allow you to install a DNS server for the reason john551 specified. Minimum cost is going to be at least a couple thousand dollars on up. (Hosting a domain on a personal PC running XP or even a flavor of linux is simply just not a good idea from the getgo). You'll also need to consider that you will need to set up a mail server as well, if you want to have emails for your domain.

Then you will need to consider that nearly all ISP's will not permit hosting a website on a standard home account. They require a business account. They will also have to assign you a static IP, and this is usually only available with a business account. Our ISP charges us $130 per month. Prices vary from ISP to ISP as well as factor in bandwidth expense.

Add up the expense of operating your own server, and weigh it against your anticipated traffic and income you anticipate from your site. If your incoming revenue far exceeds your expense, then it is probably worth the investment. Typically it is much cheaper to have it hosted by a reliable host.

If you are planning to run a hosting company, then you simply must have a dedicated server. You could do this yourself but there are alternatives. Many Hosting companies such as EV1 have reseller accounts/plans available where they provide you with a dedicated server which they can manage for you or you can manage yourself. Cost varies, but typically cheaper than hosting your own inhouse server.
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm actually embarrassed that it got to this many posts and no-one has provided the information this guy was looking for. Commenting on the relative merits of self-hosting and paying someone else is all very well, but no-one actually answered his question...

-----
EDIT: ANTO got in there before me :P
-----

Anyway, to the OP:

1) Find out your current IP address.
2) Get a dynamicDNS account. I like dyndns.org, but there are loads out there, and I'm not sure it makes much difference...
3) Set up your account to forward to your IP
4) If you think it's necessary, run an automatic updater daemon to check your current IP and refresh your account periodically
5) Go into your GoDaddy account controls, and point the DNS to your new dynDNS.org account.
6) Run apache, open up port 80, and you're away!

FYI, this isn't that hard, but maintaining it can be a bit of a hassle, especially if you're running it off your main PC. The other thing is, it's using your home internet connection, so it's not going to be very fast. Good luck, post again if you'd like more advice.

B.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts