hosts providing yourownsubdomain.theirhostname.com

• dr nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • dr nick
  • Loc: Frankfurt

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I've searched through the forum but I don't think I've found anything that specifically answers what I need, and it's difficult to use google to find it either. Basically, I'd really appreciate if anyone can provide me with a list of web hosting companies that will host you on their subdomain at low cost.

e.g. I want to use a subdomain name (myname) on a particular webhost (webhostname.com), which would give myname.somewebhostname.com

I'm not looking for performance, any features or anything --- just a simple 10MB site that doesn't require a domain name and just uses theirs with a subdomain or folder. I don't mind paying up to $5 for it per month either.

Thanks for any help!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

i suggest you get a subdomain from this site:
http://freedns.afraid.org

the have thousands of dif ones you can choose from. after you get one it works just like a normal domain name.

like i have oscommerce.d.la setup to run my test sites on. i can have email like raj@oscommerce.d.la

now most host's billing software won't let you use a subdomain when you sign up though.

i would let you on my site... :)
http://www.supersweethosting.com/

hope that helps :)
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi dr nick,

What you are looking for is a 3rd level domain. Pretty much every host will offer this. I know for certain most h-sphere hosts have this activated in their checkout process (last screen)

Right before checkout - you select 1) transfer and existing domain, 2) purchase a new domain 3) register a 3rd level domain (ie http://youname.hostname.com). etc....
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some hosts may be unwilling to offer this type of service fearing the end user may sully their reputation or IP space with SPAM or other nefarious actions.
  • davidaus
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • davidaus
  • Loc: Indo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why do you have to pay for $5 every month? It should be free if you are using their subdomain :oops:
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

:roll: perhaps it's because they will still be using server resources??? Eg: diskspace and bandwidth.

davidaus wrote:
Why do you have to pay for $5 every month? It should be free if you are using their subdomain :oops:
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

Uncensored-Hosting wrote:
Some hosts may be unwilling to offer this type of service fearing the end user may sully their reputation or IP space with SPAM or other nefarious actions.

Agreed. It is too much of a risk and it looks like they are somehow associated with the company.
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

The following is a prime example of why you do not want to give someone a subdomain on your brand (domain) name. This unsuspecting host (perhaps they are in on it??) setup a subdomain for "turbo" who in turn went on a Ebay phishing expedition:

Return-path: <nobody@turbo.thehostrack.com>
Envelope-to: gus@ns5.uncensored-hosting.com
Delivery-date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:01:55 -0800
Received: from gus by ns5.uncensored-hosting.com with local-bsmtp (Exim 4.50 (FreeBSD))
id 1DGL2F-0007IJ-5m
for gus@ns5.uncensored-hosting.com; Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:01:55 -0800
Received: from [67.18.86.212] (helo=turbo.thehostrack.com)
by ns5.uncensored-hosting.com with esmtps (TLSv1:AES256-SHA:256)
(Exim 4.50 (FreeBSD))
id 1DGL2F-0007ID-13
for gus@photographybygus.com; Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:01:51 -0800
Received: from nobody by turbo.thehostrack.com with local (Exim 4.50)
id 1DGL1T-00033w-W5
for gus@photographybygus.com; Tue, 29 Mar 2005 13:00:42 -0500
To: gus@photographybygus.com
Subject: [TKO]: Your eBay account could be facing a suspension!
Reply-To: aw-confirm@ebay.com
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/html
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Message-Id: <E1DGL1T-00033w-W5@turbo.thehostrack.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 13:00:41 -0500
X-AntiAbuse: This header was added to track abuse, please include it with any abuse report
X-AntiAbuse: Primary Hostname - turbo.thehostrack.com
X-AntiAbuse: Original Domain - photographybygus.com
X-AntiAbuse: Originator/Caller UID/GID - [99 99] / [47 12]
X-AntiAbuse: Sender Address Domain - turbo.thehostrack.com
X-Source:
X-Source-Args:
X-Source-Dir:

Dear valued customer Need Help?

We regret to inform you that your eBay account could be suspended if you don't re-update your account information. Many cyber hackers have been trying to takeover Ebay user accounts. In order to verify that you are the real owner of your Ebay Account, we need you to verify your information. To resolve this problem please click here and re-enter your account information. If your problem could not be resolved your account will be suspended for a period of 24 hours, after this period your account will be terminated.

For the User Agreement, Section 9, we may immediately issue a warning, temporarily suspend, indefinitely suspend or terminate your membership and refuse to provide our services to you if we believe that your actions may cause financial loss or legal liability for you, our users or us. We may also take these actions if we are unable to verify or authenticate any information you provide to us.

Due to the suspension of this account, please be advised you are prohibited from using eBay in any way. This includes the registering of a new account. Please note that this suspension does not relieve you of your agreed-upon obligation to pay any fees you may owe to eBay.

Regards, Safeharbor Department eBay, Inc
The eBay team.

This is an automatic message. Please do not reply.
á

Announcementsá|áRegisterá|áShop eBay-o-ramaá|áSecurity Centerá|áPoliciesá|áPayPal
Feedback Forumá|áAbout eBayá|áJobsá|áAffiliates Programá|áDevelopersá|áeBay Downloadsá|áeBay Gift Certificates My eBayá|á Site Map
Browseá|á Sellá|á Servicesá|á Searchá|á Helpá|á Community á
Copyright ¬ 1995-2005 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Designated trademarks and brands are the property of
their respective owners.
Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the
eBay User Agreement and Privacy Policy.

á

musik wrote:
Uncensored-Hosting wrote:

Agreed. It is too much of a risk and it looks like they are somehow associated with the company.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

Top example!
  • jporpilla
  • Born
  • Born
  • jporpilla

Post 3+ Months Ago

I want to setup a DNS server that will host my domain http://www.amellar.net I am newbie to Linux but can anyone help me how to do this?
  • yuriythebest
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Ukraine

Post 3+ Months Ago

dude chill out, I know a good host that offers a free subdomain, unlimited webstace and 1 gb of traffic, as well as php and mysql and pre-installed scripts, all for an add of your choice on each page that you get to put up yourself, it's at http://www.weird.name (they're down for a few days though because they're changing servers)
  • jporpilla
  • Born
  • Born
  • jporpilla

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, that's a good site offering a free hosting. But I want to setup my own DNS? Can anyone help me.
  • Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know a great one. Perfect for what you need, but also gives you 25MB (I think).

http://www.bravenet.com/ just sign-up. It's free...
  • pedrotuga
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

God... I can't understand????
whats the problem???
For 5$/mo you can get your own domain,a gig of storage and a lot of gigs of trafic.
Try 100webspace.com for instance, its far my favourite.
Uncensored-hosting... couldn't understant the example so well... Whats the problem with the hosting company in offering its domain???
How is it related with phishing? couldn't understand...
PS.: I am not so familiar with email code...
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ideally the unsuspecting webhost setup a subdomain for a criminal. The criminal then used this access to send out phishing emails to the internet. They may or may not have profited from the scam however the same probably did not cost them anything either. However the host may end up with their IP space blacklisted, a tarnished reputation and bear the brunt of any criminal investigation since their domain was used to perpetrate the crime. Law enforcement will not be able to conclude their investigation without a good hard look at the webhost. Especially since they may be the culprits and are hoping the investigators will accept the whole "we had no idea story" ...

pedrotuga wrote:
God... I can't understand????
whats the problem???
For 5$/mo you can get your own domain,a gig of storage and a lot of gigs of trafic.
Try 100webspace.com for instance, its far my favourite.
Uncensored-hosting... couldn't understant the example so well... Whats the problem with the hosting company in offering its domain???
How is it related with phishing? couldn't understand...
PS.: I am not so familiar with email code...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts