To hosts: Do you offer PostgreSQL?

• Maedhros
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Durham, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is a question for all those members of OZZU who run hosting companies (there seem to be quite a few of you!). Do you offer PostgreSQL support? If not, why not? Is it just not as popular as MySQL? Or is it harder to admin, or just different enough to require extra effort on your part?

I ask this, as I've recently been doing some reading on databases, and it seems to me that PostgreSQL offers a better database than MySQL. I'm having trouble finding many hosts that offer it though, or at least offer it without charging exhorbitant extra fees ($5 per postgres user, somewhere... :shock: ), and I was wondering why.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

just not worth it for me. most people want MySQL so that is what i give them. :)
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

We have PostgreSQL. We also offer MySQL. Most of our customers use MySQL simply because it's more popular. PostgreSQL is somewhat popular, but it hasn't caught on the way MySQL has.
  • Ablie
  • Ablie
  • Loc: Atlanta, GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well being that I am probably not as experienced as te two above, I automatically offer both PostgreSQL and Mysql on our plans. But I find that some of the more skilled customers like Postgre better.
  • fawh
  • Student
  • Student
  • fawh

Post 3+ Months Ago

MySQL might be more popular, because there are alot of scripts written that promote the use of MySQL databases.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the mySQL is just the most popular as most of the control panels seem to have better support for it.

Most hosting companies can actually easily allow you it, and there should be no reason why they should charge you extra for it. It may be heavier on the server though (potentially). Its not really proven though - its just different peoples experiences of using it. Our hosting company offers it free in our hosting package, I cant say why others would want to charge you for it though.
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

We also offer it at no additional charge.
  • Maedhros
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Durham, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, thankyou everyone for replying! It seems I should just be looking harder. :)
  • majesto
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: Southern Illinois

Post 3+ Months Ago

I too offer both. Although mySQL is still a preferred to my customers, they are given both at no charge.
  • meisam
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Richmond, BC

Post 3+ Months Ago

i offer both

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts