How does buying a domain ACTUALLY work?

• dr nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • dr nick
  • Loc: Frankfurt

Post 3+ Months Ago

So I'm looking to buy a few domains, but how do I make sure that the registrar (or whoever) buys the domains in my name (i.e., making me the owner of it). Do all the websites 'selling' domain names actually do that? How come some can sell domain names at cheaper prices than others? Is it possible that they could buy the domain, but they actually own it, and then tell you a year later "if you want this domain you'll have to pay more for it?"

Anyone had bad experiences, or is this now generally standard fare and I should just go ahead and trust the cheapest offer?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

just head to http://www.godaddy.com right now and get what you need. Don't
even worry yourself about all that if you get your domains there.

They're simply the cheapest, best, most reliable, and most user-friendly.
You will never have problems with godaddy. I've been using them, and
so has bigwebmaster, for years with never a problems.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

I used to use http://www.dotyou.com but have started using http://www.godaddy.com on Unflux and everyone elses recommedation and I have had no hassles with payments or anything, I get the domain, they hit my card for the American dollar value of the domain and then they email me with a reciept and the details of the domain login etc.

My understanding is that only Verisign gets a bit dirty when you buy a domain off them and want to transfer it to another registrar.

:D
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

one registrar to avoid: iregistrations. I have heard reports of users getting their domains, having their credit card billed for anywhere between $5 and $100 each time they login to the members area, and then getting the domain taken off them when they chargeback.

The only reason some registrars are cheaper than others is because some are more greedy than others. Lets say it costs you $4 to register a domain, and you charge $8. That's a 50% profit margin. That's what a really popular registrar might charge, because they have more customers and thereforfe get more money. However, if your not as popular as this theoretical registrar, you mgiht charge $16 and have a 75% profit margin. You would only need one third the number of customers as the cheaper registrar to make the same profit.

Why is network solutions the number one registrar? A few reasons. One, they run the registry for all .com and .net domains, so whenever you visit a page that has a .com or .net domain in it, you have to go through network solutions's servers. This makes people think more highly of them. Two, when the internet first became mainstream, network solutions was the only company offering domains. A lot of the earlier websites that were set up were set up before there was any alternative. Three, fradulent business practices. I have heard about network solutions sending letters to it's competitors customers telling them that their domain is up for renewal and to renew it with Network solutions rather than their current registrar.

I personally use godaddy for all except one of my domains, and I will transfer that one soon because it is dew for renewal. The only thing i have against godaddy is they use a windows server, and that's no big deal.

Oh and one more thing, i probably got half of that stuff about network solutions wrong, and i probably also missed out on a bit of it so don't go using it as evidence in court against someone or anything.
  • blackhat
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • blackhat

Post 3+ Months Ago

I actually wouldn't suggest Godaddy.com -- they don't supply everything you need in a package, and the transfer crap... If your serious about getting a domain learn the quirks and the advantages when buying from a place.

I'm still looking for a good host that'll supply what i need for a low cost.. Pretty hard because they offer everything separately which really gets on my nerves. Furthermore, I wouldn't suggest starting a domain unless you have a year or two's worth with web designing and image making, pretty essential in our present age.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

what more do you need supplied with a domain besides; free url direct, ability to set ur own dns settings & some email forwarders.

i think anyone should get a domain. the best experience you can get is working on your own site. it's how most people start in this field...
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

:roll:
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

you dont agree unflux?
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

not you dear, blackhat.

godaddy is the best NIC i've used, and I have experience with 8+
different ones. Not sure why he wants to steer people away from them,
but since godaddy is the #1 domain registrar along with directnic, I don't
see how he can say that at all.

clearly an opinion coming from both an overdemanding person and an
inexperienced webmaster. At least, that's my perception.

I find nothing but aggravation in his words, and don't think for a minute
their anything bu hateful and unhelpful.

But hey....that's just me. *shrugs* :?
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

well the transfer is over now, godaddy now manages 9 of my 11 domains. The other 2 are hosted with a different registrar because one is .net.au and one is .com.au and last time i checked godaddy didn't provided those services.

And the transfer was painless. I took about a day from when i requested the domain transfer for it to be completed. I once had to transfer a domain before, it took almost a week.
  • jeepsgirl
  • Born
  • Born
  • jeepsgirl

Post 3+ Months Ago

How did you (rjstephens) do that? When I looked at your little sign under your name, it said my host ISP, my IP, my OS, and my browser info.

That was pretty darn cool!

Share the knowledge :)

Jeepsgirl

PS I am a newbie here, trying to find a comfy couch to absorb :)
  • Sappe
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Sappe

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.danasoft.com

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts