How does one sort through all the hosting options?

  • fawh
  • Student
  • Student
  • fawh
  • Posts: 74

Post 3+ Months Ago

CartikaHosting wrote:
Quote:
I have been for a couple years. With one of my sites it's getting near 40 GB per month


Come on bud - it doesnt take rocket science to figure out that if every customer on that server is paying $7.95 for 40 GB - the server needs to be extremely oversold in order to cover costs and turn a profit. Eventually, as more sites start using close to that 40 GB limit, there's going to be problems... The problem isnt actually bandwith overselling - the secondary effect is CPU utilization - and these types of plans dramatically oversell the CPU...

Whether its today, tomorrow or 3 years from now (really dependant on growth rate of company)


As long as I get what I purchase, I'm happy. If I wasn't, I'd switch web hosts and remove the host from my directory.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Posts: 455
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
As long as I get what I purchase, I'm happy. If I wasn't, I'd switch web hosts and remove the host from my directory.


Yes, you are getting exactly what you purchased. An oversold service, lacking redundancy - for an appropriate price for that service.

If this is the type of service you need and require and wish to promote - great - all the power to you..

However, do not confuse this with other types of services available and do not use this as a standard to judge pricing - as pricing greatly varies in this industry and IS dependent on what exactly is being purchased (afterall, you cant compare a pinto - bargain hosting - to a mercedes - tier 1 hosting) - Personally, I try to play in the middle - say - like a volvo...
  • fawh
  • Student
  • Student
  • fawh
  • Posts: 74

Post 3+ Months Ago

CartikaHosting wrote:
My customers pay for a clustered environment - meaning MySQL, Web, eMail, DNS1, DNS2 and Control Panel are not running locally. The advantages of this should be fairly apparent.


Thats fine. I also get MySQL and a contol panel with my plans.


CartikaHosting wrote:
Are you considering any criteria other then price vs resources?



Of course...I look at the programming languages supported and as you mentioned data bases and control panels..also, secure socket layer, secure shell, telnet...etc..
  • fawh
  • Student
  • Student
  • fawh
  • Posts: 74

Post 3+ Months Ago

CartikaHosting wrote:
pricing greatly varies in this industry and IS dependent on what exactly is being purchased


I agree.
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 383
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

Agreed. Additionally you seldom need to consider a dedicated server for less than 200GB/mo in bandwidth consumption. Unless of course you have great cpu/ram demands common with mysql/php heavy sites. Honestly absent these demands you could serve 500GB/mo on a shared/semi-dedicated server without adversely impacting other users provided the server was not oversold. Had at least 1GB RAM a stable network and a minimum P4 non celeron processor.


CartikaHosting wrote:
Quote:
I have been for a couple years. With one of my sites it's getting near 40 GB per month


Come on bud - it doesnt take rocket science to figure out that if every customer on that server is paying $7.95 for 40 GB - the server needs to be extremely oversold in order to cover costs and turn a profit. Eventually, as more sites start using close to that 40 GB limit, there's going to be problems... The problem isnt actually bandwith overselling - the secondary effect is CPU utilization - and these types of plans dramatically oversell the CPU...

Whether its today, tomorrow or 3 years from now (really dependant on growth rate of company)

Post Information

  • Total Posts in this topic: 35 posts
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum
  • You cannot post attachments in this forum
 
 

© 1998-2014. Ozzu® is a registered trademark of Unmelted, LLC.