How does one sort through all the hosting options?

• mortgage-pro-seo
  • Born
  • Born
  • mortgage-pro-seo

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not sure if this is a good section for my post.

Trying to sort through all the web hosting companies can be mind boggling.

I would like a reasonable priced solution which allows php, mysql. I would also like an account which allows more than one domain to be hosted. I would also like the bility to possibly grow into a reseller account.

I would like good support (from the USA) and great performance.

Any ideas on how I can start to narrow down the process?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You might want to contact OZZU's supermoderator UNFLUX:
http://www.unflux.net

He may be able to provide what you are looking for. And I have a high degree of confidence in his reliability.
  • SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

and if you don't chose that for some strange reason. there are lots of members here who own hosting companies *cough* what i told most people before i got my hosting site going is do a search on google. then find 5 or so you like then goto somewhere like webhostingtalk.com and or here and ask about them. it's also a good idea to search for the different hosts you chose on wht and see what was said about them in the past.

as far as hosting rating sites. most of them are paid and don't have unbiased opinions.

well anyway hope you find what you are looking for ;)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

SSH-Raj is correct. Many of our members do offer quality hosting. The good ones are easy to identify. You can identify them by their posting history. I think I can safely say that if the one's offering hosting have taken the time to be helpful to other members accross the board, you can probably consider them worth checking into. Not all may be able to offer what you need, but it gives you a fairly reliable starting point.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello mortgage-pro-seo,

Choosing a host can often be a daunting task - so many to choose from and so many horror stories to filter through.

Here is the best advise I can offer you:

1) Make a control panel decision first. All control panels are not created equal - and if you are looking to eventually move into the area of reseller hosting - you want to make sure you make the right decision from the start. You can easily change hosts - but, changing control panels is alot more difficult. After you have played with and thoroughly researched all of the control panels - then look for a host that offers your control panel of choice - this will immediately narrow down your search.

2) Look for a host in a clustered environment. Try to avoid the all-in-wonder servers. What I mean by this - is try to avoid a situation where all your resources are being hosted off of one server (ie control panel, DNS, email, mysql, etc..). In this scenario - damage to any one of these services can bring down all your services. In a clustered environment, redundancy and scalability are the name of the game. Worse case scenario is that an entire server will crash. If you are in a clustered environment - all this will mean is the temporary loss of 1 service (ie control panel, or web, or email) - however, all other services will stay up.

3) never go for the "best" offer you can find. Some of the super cheap hosts are actually pretty good - but most arent - no reason to play Russina Roulette when the odds are stacked against you.

Hope this helps and please make sure you come back here and let us know what you decided and how it turned out.
  • thecodman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: CT, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

As previously suggested I STRONGLY suggest asking around at different forums before signing up, it is from past or present clients that you can get the real low-down on a host. You can find a list of good webmaster forums at http://www.lcrincorp.com/links.html

You may also want to checkout a website of mine that is still in its infancy changes but can help to steer you away from a few bad guys - http://www.badwebhosts.com
  • jnacool
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are a lot of different companies that will offer these services the best advice for you is to ask around on a range of boards, ignore people plugging their own services to the extreme and consider all your options, rember that reseller packages can be bought later from a completly different company in fact it is often better to do that, rember that if your site goes down and your customers are with the same hosts how can they ever get in touch with you about the fact that they are loosing their service? Good luck with the development.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

CartikaHosting offers good advice, dont be blinded by all the bells and whistles or a super cheap price. I myself have been ripped off by a number of cheap companies and have learnt my lesson the hard way.

Word-of-mouth is definetly the way to go!

Good luck with your search!
  • fawh
  • Student
  • Student
  • fawh

Post 3+ Months Ago

The previous members' posts offer great advise. I would just like to add, looking at your requirements, you should be able to find a plan under $10/Month.
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would say 10-15/month for a multi-domain plan with lots of space and bandwidth from a reliable provider is safer than most solutions under 10 bucks/month.

In addition to tips provided I suggest you pass over any hosts not offering at least a 30 day money back guarantee. Then email/call the hosting provider at various hours of the day/night to gauge their response time and make sure they answer all your questions. This will tell you how fast they respond and whether or not you are likely to enjoy effective communication with them.

Last but not least read the Terms of Service, Acceptable Use Policy and/or Service Level Agreement if they offer one. Do this even when relying on word of mouth. Then email the host any questions regarding the same. Just because one host is great for your friend does not mean that your experience will be the same. Your sites may require totally different resources which may weigh heavily on your experience with said host.

fawh wrote:
The previous members' posts offer great advise. I would just like to add, looking at your requirements, you should be able to find a plan under $10/Month.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:

I think this is a dangerous statement. There really is no "right" number around cost.

Quote:
I would say 10-15/month for a multi-domain plan with lots of space and bandwidth from a reliable provider is safer than most solutions under 10 bucks/month.

Again - this sort of statement really isnt appropriate - IMHO.

What is Lots of space and bandwith mean? Relative to what?

"Safer then most solutions under $10/month? " Why? Using what criteria? Is this ALWAYS true?

When talking price WRT hosting, there are several factors which need to be considered.

What level of reliability are they looking for - ie) Just how many 9's do they want in their uptime stats? 99%, 99.9%, 99.99%, 99.999% ? Each of these 9's comes with additional cost - therefore blanket statements on overall budget cannot and should not really be made.

Does the customer require high availability via a clustered environment? Does the customer require 24x7 support? Does the customer require toll free support? Does the customer require comprehensive backup solutions? Does the customer require the increased spead and performance associated with SCSI drives and redundancy associated with RAID technology? Will RAID 1 suffice, or do they want RAID 5? , etc, etc, etc...

It is EXTREMELY difficult to place an actual dollar value around a hosting solution. For example - you can pick up a dedicated server from ThePlanet for a couple of hundred bucks a month, or you could pick up a dedicated server from IBM or DELL for several thousand a month. Considering the number of clients both IBM and DELL host, there is obviously some sort of value statement there to justify their price tag - no one (or at least very few) pay a 1000% higher price tag JUST for the Brand alone.

For the purposes of this thread, and assuming a "typical" customer for this market - a good cost structure would be:

$1/GB/month for a "reliable" service.

Expect to receive:
99.9+% consistent uptime
Proportional amount of diskspace to the bandwith you are paying for (proportions may vary between providers)
Above average support
Above average infrastructure
Thorough and Redundat BackUp policies/procedures

If you are paying according to the structure outlined above, and are not receiving the service you want - maybe start shopping for a different provider. If you are paying this much for your service, but expect more support or more redundancy, etc - expect to raise your budget.

If you are paying less then the amount indicated above. Do not expect the same level of support/performance/uptime. If you are paying less then the amount indicated above and are receiving the level of performance/support indicated above - consider yourself fortunate, but understand that eventually, if that host grows, they will not be able to maintain that cost structure & support/performance/reliability will drop.

When shopping for hosting - always determine what you actually need.

What amount of uptime can you live with? Is this just a hobby site? Does uptime and reliability not really matter? If uptime is important, how much downtime can you actually live with per month (1 min, 5 min?, 60 mins?) ? How much space and bandwith do you actually need? (most important question - do not purchase more then you need today as well as a reasonable amount for site growth - this is the best way to ensure quality, while staying within your budget)
  • fawh
  • Student
  • Student
  • fawh

Post 3+ Months Ago

CartikaHosting wrote:
Quote:

I think this is a dangerous statement. There really is no "right" number around cost.

If you would have read my post, you would have seen I didn't give a specific number or price. I just said he could find what he was looking for under 10 dollars a month.

And as Uncensored-Hosting mentioned, a few dollars more for multiple domains.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

fawh wrote:

If you would have read my post, you would have seen I didn't give a specific number or price. I just said he could find what he was looking for under 10 dollars a month.

And as Uncensored-Hosting mentioned, a few dollars more for multiple domains.

And if you would have read CartikaHosting's post, you would realize that he gave extremely good advice.
  • fawh
  • Student
  • Student
  • fawh

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've found web hosts that offer great support and 99%+ up time for under $10/Month. I must point out that this was for only one domain. After rereading Mortgage-pro-seo's post, I see that he is looking to host multiple domains. Sorry about that.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

fawh wrote:
I've found web hosts that offer great support and 99%+ up time for under $10/Month. I must point out that this was for only one domain. After rereading Mortgage-pro-seo's post, I see that he is looking to host multiple domains. Sorry about that.

Hi Fawh,

No need to apologize - this is a good discussion.

Multiple domains aside - great support and 99%+ uptime again is a bit of a generalization.

How many resources are you talking about?
What is great support?
99%+ uptime really isnt that great. 99.9%+ is better, 99.99%+ is even better.

Remember, not all hosts care about multiple domains - and not all charge that way. Some charge based on resources and performance and reliability vs # of domains hosted.

Anyway - great conversation and thanks for your input...
  • fawh
  • Student
  • Student
  • fawh

Post 3+ Months Ago

CartikaHosting wrote:
How many resources are you talking about?

CartikaHosting wrote:
What is great support?
99%+ uptime really isnt that great. 99.9%+ is better, 99.99%+ is even better.

With the host I'm with now, it's at 99.9%.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL

Quote:

3 what?

If you're paying $10 for 3 GB - then yes, I would expect you to see 99.9% uptime. That is a reasonable price structure.
  • fawh
  • Student
  • Student
  • fawh

Post 3+ Months Ago

CartikaHosting wrote:
LOL

3 what?

3 different web hosts.
CartikaHosting wrote:
If you're paying $10 for 3 GB - then yes, I would expect you to see 99.9% uptime. That is a reasonable price structure.

$7.95/Month for 40 GB/Month data transfer.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:

Enjoy it while it lasts...
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

fawh,

I just clicked on your link after realizing you run a web hosting directory site - do you mean to tell me you condone and use hosts that practise that degree of overselling?

$7.95 for 40 GB?

Thats under $0.20/GB
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can get good quality hosting for that price. Powweb was a great host while I used them before i got my own server. They have been around for years and their support is excellent.

They have 2 gigs storage and 5 gigs a DAY traffic.. and its less than the price fawh has said.

Anyways, on topic, there are many options and I think there is a lot of good advice been given here. :D
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi musik,

Oh, you most certainly "can" get good hosting for that price - though - the probability of problems rises dramatically.

I dont think powweb is a good example at all - they are dramatically oversold and have recently suffered huge issues. I believe they finally bit the bullet and have started clustering their resources in an attempt to stabilize.

5 gigs a day is a marketing gimmick, nothing more. I can gurantee there is no one paying $7.95 (or whatever their advertised price is) and actually using 5 gigs per day. Heavy users will have their accounts suspended and asked to leave or upgrade to a MUCH more expensive plan long before they hit that 5 GB/day limit (thats 150 GB/month)- and it will be justified in their TOS - specifically around CPU useage.

Anyway - great conversation here - much appreciated :)
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah true, I wasn't aware of any problems with them - I had no hassles, but like you say it depends on the place and I guess we are all singing the same song, saying to people to be careful who they choose their hosting with so they don't end up like some of our Ozzu family and having their money taken and their services pulled from under them when the company goes bust because of bad business management.

It can be tough to figure out where to go - so many options to choose from and so many recommendations - which way to go - spend less - get more - but does it work out the best in the end, sometimes it DOES pay to spend a little more to get something with a company that is going to be around for years.

But definitely like you say, excellent conversations, this is how everyone learns whats going on in this crazy hosting world where loads of people want to make a fast buck ;)
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
but does it work out the best in the end, sometimes it DOES pay to spend a little more to get something with a company that is going to be around for years.

Yup - and sometimes you pay more and get burnt anyway :D

Thats why I like this type of environment so much - Get to figure out whats working and for who..
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

Agreed. Unfortunately many people fall for this pie in the sky marketing and actually believe they are better off because they are promised this much transfer even if they never use it. I try to educate them on the ramifications and assure them this will result in crowded and oversold servers which will adversely affect their sites. Too bad many people don't begin to understand this until their site starts loading slow or timing out.

CartikaHosting wrote:
Hi musik,

Oh, you most certainly "can" get good hosting for that price - though - the probability of problems rises dramatically.

I dont think powweb is a good example at all - they are dramatically oversold and have recently suffered huge issues. I believe they finally bit the bullet and have started clustering their resources in an attempt to stabilize.

5 gigs a day is a marketing gimmick, nothing more. I can gurantee there is no one paying $7.95 (or whatever their advertised price is) and actually using 5 gigs per day. Heavy users will have their accounts suspended and asked to leave or upgrade to a MUCH more expensive plan long before they hit that 5 GB/day limit (thats 150 GB/month)- and it will be justified in their TOS - specifically around CPU useage.

Anyway - great conversation here - much appreciated :)
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Uncensored-Hosting wrote:
I try to educate them on the ramifications and assure them this will result in crowded and oversold servers which will adversely affect their sites. Too bad many people don't begin to understand this until their site starts loading slow or timing out.

Uncensored-Hosting - this is music to my ears !!

By the way - this is a "better" way to build your business. You may lose some people shopping on price - but, at the end of the day - you will have a better customer base and your costs (not too mention headaches) will be lower.

Keep fighting the good fight - selling a viable, realible and stable business is definately the way to go in this industry. Eventually, all the people shopping on specs alone will find their way to your order page :D

I run across many people that insist on cPanel - and I have no problem what-so-ever referring them to a host like yourself that is conscious of these sorts of issues.
  • fawh
  • Student
  • Student
  • fawh

Post 3+ Months Ago

CartikaHosting wrote:
fawh,

I just clicked on your link after realizing you run a web hosting directory site - do you mean to tell me you condone and use hosts that practise that degree of overselling?

$7.95 for 40 GB?

Thats under $0.20/GB

Condone it? I use it myself. I was at your site too and I thought your prices were kinda high. I would purchase a dedicated server before I paid that much for a shared plan.
  • fawh
  • Student
  • Student
  • fawh

Post 3+ Months Ago

CartikaHosting wrote:
Quote:

Enjoy it while it lasts...

I have been for a couple years. With one of my sites it's getting near 40 GB per month and I'm probably going to be getting a dedicated server for it.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I was at your site too and I thought your prices were kinda high.

Obviously you are free to decide what you like. However, $1/GB is the minimum standard for a sustainable service.

Quote:
I would purchase a dedicated server before I paid that much for a shared plan.

You're still not addressing redundancy with a dedicated server (not too mention the secondary costs of maintaining a server). My customers pay for a clustered environment - meaning MySQL, Web, eMail, DNS1, DNS2 and Control Panel are not running locally. The advantages of this should be fairly apparent.

Again - looks like we have gone full circle on this one - as my question still stands - how do you determine what a "good" price is vs an "expensive" one?

Are you considering any criteria other then price vs resources?

It is becoming apparent you do not...
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I have been for a couple years. With one of my sites it's getting near 40 GB per month

Come on bud - it doesnt take rocket science to figure out that if every customer on that server is paying $7.95 for 40 GB - the server needs to be extremely oversold in order to cover costs and turn a profit. Eventually, as more sites start using close to that 40 GB limit, there's going to be problems... The problem isnt actually bandwith overselling - the secondary effect is CPU utilization - and these types of plans dramatically oversell the CPU...

Whether its today, tomorrow or 3 years from now (really dependant on growth rate of company)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 35 posts