How to know wich server do i need?

• MCF
  • Born
  • Born
  • MCF

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I want to know if is there any way to know how many users a server could host, i mean, i if i have a server "X" how could i know how many registers could have on my DB and how many users could be connected at the same time??
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

test a server by it's speed but if it loads fast it can take lots more and when it loads slower there is lots on there and when it does not load then there is too many...

There is no one single answer for this but the bigger the pipe then more users and then when you start getting into the millions of visitors a month you need a big server to take the server load.

there is a lot of variables in this but most of the time you are fine and a server can be upgraded with a reboot. But when you get high consistent load then it is time to make a multi server module to use a few servers with mirror sites.

there is many ways to take on big traffic head on.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

We do this all the time, especially when our hardware or software changes. We use a lot of in-house tools, so I can't help you much there, but I can say that jmeter is not bad. It tests webservers, through application stacks and into db's using JDBC connects.

We usually put enough load on the system to just bring to the edge of crashing and burning. This gives our theoretical max, we then build to half that for good measure.

http://jmeter.apache.org/

Cheers.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

OOOOOOOOO that is cool i mite test out my server. :)
  • Annabelle
  • Born
  • Born
  • Annabelle

Post 3+ Months Ago

iKode Help Desk X ?
  • postcd
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • postcd

Post 3+ Months Ago

you cant know it, its probably just from past experiences, so you can guess.

But regarding memory, you can see that your script needs 32MB to load page, then imagine how many users can load page at same time untill you are out of server memory.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts