How many databases should I require?

• SnailDev
  • Student
  • Student
  • SnailDev

Post 3+ Months Ago

Right now I have only one website and my hosting co. is providing only one Mysql database. I am planning two more websites and these two sites also require database. Can I use the same database for three sites, creating tables which are not linked. Please help..

thanks in advance
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would assume so, maybe when the sites get bigger and more traffic, and more stress on the database, then you could get two more, but I don't see the need for more than one.
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

Seperate databases are cleaner IMHO. The other two sites you intend are likely to consume more diskspace. Accordingly you may need to upgrade to a larger plan. This upgrade may include additional databases. Alternatively you could inqure abiout adding databases to your existing plan. If they won't allow you that simple courtesy especially if you are willing to pay a nonminal fee then I sugest you switch hosts.
  • SnailDev
  • Student
  • Student
  • SnailDev

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for replies.

Unfortunately they don't allow more than one mysql databases in one hosting package. MS access i can have more.

My hosting is brinkster. Anyone can tell me one better hosting allowing more tech support and more databases?

thanks
  • RossOliver
  • RossOliver

Post 3+ Months Ago

More MySQL databases are better, but you should really only need a couple for one website - remember if you have too many it will start to hinder your websites speed...opening and closing databases is resource-intensive.

-Ross
  • SnailDev
  • Student
  • Student
  • SnailDev

Post 3+ Months Ago

My question was whether i should need one for each website. Anyway I am looking for a better hosting co. providing more databases per hosting. At least 3.

Anyone has an idea of such a hosting co. with good tech support. Brinkster is ok but their tech support is not that good.
  • Mall23
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not having multiple databases won't be a problem. Having conflicting table names will. Watch out for that. Like if you try and install PHPBB on all three sites, make sure you prepend each sites tables w/ a unique prefix.

And, they might not allow you to create multiple database users...so all three sites might end up having to use the same database user. THIS IS A HUGE SECURITY RISK. Because Site A will be able to access ALL the data from Site B and C, and B all A's and C's, etc.

But if you aren't worried about someone putting code on the sites that'll access the other sites tables, I would go for it (like, if you are doing all the coding).
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello SnailDev,

Quote:
My question was whether i should need one for each website. Anyway I am looking for a better hosting co. providing more databases per hosting. At least 3.

The actual number of DB's permitted is actually irrelavent - as you can simply use different DB prefixes for each app and and as many "different" apps to a single DB as you like (the prefexes will separate them and you wont need to worry about conflicting tables, etc)..

The real matter is how much mysql (or DB) space you are allocated. Im honestly quite shocked that companies actually limit the number - as really, this is irrelavent. Id rather have a client with 1000 DB's using a total of 10 MB of mysql space, vs a client with a single DB using 1000 MB of mysql space... (BTW - typically speaking, most db driven sites dont exceed 10 MB -25 MB mysql space)....

Hope this helps...
  • chris_j
  • chris_j

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just ONE sql db in todays business world is just TOO less.
Even the cheapest webhost in the market provides more than that.
Seems that the time has come when you need to swich your host. Seriously. :shock:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts