•  
    30GB ++

How much bandwidth?

• iBold
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • iBold

Post 3+ Months Ago

How much bandwidth does your largest site use per month?
My largest is at a meager 2.3 GB / month :cry:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Amzia
  • Amzia

Post 3+ Months Ago

My highest bandwidth reported per month was about 20gb. This is because its an online community sharing photo albums, weblogs, forum, etc.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Highest I've seen on my site is just over one... Maybe if I actually had content ;)

Luckily my host supplies me with 45GIG so I am set if I even have content :-P
  • PluTunium
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Touring the USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont have statistics, but i will show ya once i get them.
  • dr nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • dr nick
  • Loc: Frankfurt

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not too much, I optimize a lot of my sites by size, so I aim to keep each page under 30k to keep even the modem users happy ;)

Basically I have a 3 GB limit on a cheap server, which gives me plenty 100000's of page impressions a month!
  • PluTunium
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Touring the USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Where can i find out how much bandwidth i use for everything i have on the server... LIke photos linked to here, webpages etc...
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your membership page where you can do stuff to your account should have it somewhere.

I voted 1-3, I have never seen anything more then that, but I don't have an official page either :-/
  • luchtzak
  • Student
  • Student
  • luchtzak

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm at 25 GB right now but thinking of expanding as it allready reached 15 GB this month with about 250.000 pages loaded...

If you're interested check out the fastest growing aviation website ;-)
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

I originally setup ReptileRooms.com on a 10Gig/mo plan on a server I rent. Up until about 6 months ago, it was averaging 2-3Gig/mo. Now it's getting over 10Gig/mo, and rapidly going up. November was like 6Gig, December was 9Gig, and it's already sucked 7gig only halfway through this month so far..

But, the box it's on gets 1TB/mo of bandwidth, so I'm not likely to run out (only maybe 100Gig/mo is used on the server with all the accounts totalled up, and I've got root on the system, so I can allocate as much as I need to my sites, heh).
  • sig-nation.com
  • Born
  • Born
  • sig-nation.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have just started my own forum and its called sig-nation.Anyway i use go daddy for my hosting service which they are awesome he is what i get for only $19.99 a month.

I get 4gb of space.

200 gb of bandwidth.

1000 email accounts.

Unlimited email forwarding.

25 mysql database.

Lanquage supported Windows: ASP/PHP
Windows: ASP.NET
Linux: PHP/Perl/Java.

free software! Forums,Blogs,Photo gallery,Tons OF software Scripts.

And i just got an SSL certificate for $29.00 a year and they moved me to there secure servers with 128 bit encryption!Also i got a dedicated ip!I also bought my domain from them for just $8.95 a year.

All in all they have a very good deal!Sorry hope this aint considered spam!im just a forum admin who wanted to let you all know that there are greats deals out there for those who cant afford alot :)
  • Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

200gb bandwidth/4GB space for 19.99?
  • Fitness4Living
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Belfast, Ireland

Post 3+ Months Ago

im only about 100Mb per month as its really only started, but its growing
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Our main site is using just over 10 GB/month - and thats for 1000's of visitors as well as a fairly active downloads section..

Quote:
I get 4gb of space.

200 gb of bandwidth.

Why would you even need this - that server is massively over sold. My recommendation would be to take your $9/month and buy a nice account with 250-500MB disk space and 5-10 GB bandwith - you will most certainly be happier in the long run - as you can see from the users posting on this forum - 10 GB of bandwith is ALOT - I honestly dont think people realize how many visitors and how much earning potential is tied to 10 GB bandwith....
  • sig-nation.com
  • Born
  • Born
  • sig-nation.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nem wrote:
200gb bandwidth/4GB space for 19.99?

yes and much more go check it out at http://www.godaddy.com and click on hosting the package i bought was the Premium Plan for only $19.99 month
  • sig-nation.com
  • Born
  • Born
  • sig-nation.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

CartikaHosting wrote:
Our main site is using just over 10 GB/month - and thats for 1000's of visitors as well as a fairly active downloads section..

Quote:
I get 4gb of space.

200 gb of bandwidth.

Why would you even need this - that server is massively over sold. My recommendation would be to take your $9/month and buy a nice account with 250-500MB disk space and 5-10 GB bandwith - you will most certainly be happier in the long run - as you can see from the users posting on this forum - 10 GB of bandwith is ALOT - I honestly dont think people realize how many visitors and how much earning potential is tied to 10 GB bandwith....

Nah ill stick with what i got ive been a customer of them for years and very happy never had a problem with them!I say screw those people who are trying to sell hosting for $5 as you get what you pay for ive tried that and my site was alwasy down all the time never again!
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I say screw those people who are trying to sell hosting for $5 as you get what you pay for ive tried that and my site was alwasy down all the time never again!

Theres actually not much wrong with selling hosting for $5 (though personally, I wouldnt do it) - the problem comes when companies are selling 100 GB of bandwith and 5 GB Disk Space for $5..

What I recommended is that you take your budget and spend it on a plan that makes economic sense vs buying the largest package your dollar will buy you....

Im very happy to hear you are pleased with godaddy - however, their pricing structure is dangerous - Im assuming they have the horses to pull it off - but, their pricing model should raise all sorts of red flags.... If it was anyone but godaddy - Id say run and run fast - as that package is VERY indicative of dramatic overselling - however, since its godaddy, yo ujust never know...

Best of luck and please keep us update on how it goes...
  • sig-nation.com
  • Born
  • Born
  • sig-nation.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you read this these tells you about there setup,that they own all there own equipment,servers,etc...

https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/hosting/ ... =0&ci=1406
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

sig-nation.com wrote:
If you read this these tells you about there setup,that they own all there own equipment,servers,etc...

https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/hosting/ ... =0&ci=1406

I am fully aware of their setup, etc - and as I said

Quote:
If it was anyone but godaddy - Id say run and run fast - as that package is VERY indicative of dramatic overselling -

However, 200 GB for $19.99 is massive overselling - regardless of whether they own their own datacenter or not - some simple math and logic here:

1000 clients paying $19.99 = $19, 990 Revenue
200 GB * 1000 = 200,000 GB Bandwith

Now, I dont know of any reputable bandwith provider that can sell 200,000 GB for $20,000 - forget about all the other costs associated with web hosting - servers, routers, racks, firewalls, admins, support, software, etc, etc, etc

Again - MAYBE godaddy can pull this off over time - however, this, as of yet, is unproven - though, I will concede - if there is a company that can pull this off, and still maintain reasonable service levels, it is probably godaddy...

Hence why I said if it was anyone else, Id say run and run fast - as the business model simply doesnt make sense - however, since its godaddy - Im taking a wait and see attitude...
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe wrote:
Now it's getting over 10Gig/mo, and rapidly going up. November was like 6Gig, December was 9Gig, and it's already sucked 7gig only halfway through this month so far..

Wow, this is an old thread I'm glad somebody dug up - not necessarily about the direction it's taking, but brought up a piece of history.

My answer to this one has changed a bit now. For the month this thread was initially posted I actually ended up using 10.35Gig (my first month over 10Gig).

Jan 2004 : 10.35Gig
Jan 2005 : 45.82Gig
May 2005 : 50.23Gig
June so far : 10.59Gig in the first 4 days. Yup, it's climbing up there.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
My answer to this one has changed a bit now. For the month this thread was initially posted I actually ended up using 10.35Gig (my first month over 10Gig).

Jan 2004 : 10.35Gig
Jan 2005 : 45.82Gig
May 2005 : 50.23Gig
June so far : 10.59Gig in the first 4 days. Yup, it's climbing up there.

LOL - I didnt realize just how old this thread is..

However, that aside - thats some outstanding growth - doesnt surprise me really for your sort of resource site - heck, I personally use your site as a reference - so, this is no surprise at all - congratulations on your success and thanks for the great resource site !!!!

We have hovered at around 10 GB/month usage on our main site for the last 12 months or so - but, as a hosting provider - this is plently of traffic and seems to yield consistent, steady growth results...

Our forum is growing as well - and hopefully one day will yield the same types of results you are already experiencing....
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

CartikaHosting wrote:
heck, I personally use your site as a reference

You keep reptiles? :)
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
You keep reptiles?

LOL - no, I was referring to the banner in your signature - I found that site from your link here and have visited it often - now I need to take a look at your reptile site :)
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

ahhhh, yeah, those stats are for ReptileRooms.com. PHPSector isn't using anywhere near 50Gig/mo just yet ;)

hehe
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
ahhhh, yeah, those stats are for ReptileRooms.com

Very nice site - you mind me asking which CMS you are using for that?

Quote:
PHPSector isn't using anywhere near 50Gig/mo just yet
]

I was actually wondering about that - oh well - based on your last project, Im sure you will get there as well with this site :)
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

ReptileRooms.com started off as PostNuke .713, but I've done a LOT of modifications to it since then. It was originally setup with PostNuke in April '02. Maybe it's a throwback from my dialup BBS days, but whenever I setup a stock script on a site, I like to modify it as much as I can from the original. You should see what I've started to do to osCommerce on one of my other sites, hehe.

PHPSector's started picking up quite a bit in the past couple of months. I started working on that one about a year ago, and just getting the basics up and running. Then it kinda got put on the backburner for a while due to other committments, and a few things going on here at home. Now that I've been dedicating to it again though the last few months, it's really started to pick up quickly in the search engines - probably due to the fact that it's been around now for a year and the search engines have known it, it's not just turned up overnight (plus it's listed in dmoz and a couple of other good directories). The engines are visiting about every other day at the moment.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats one heck of a postnuke job !

We pretty much use mambo exclusively - only because its by far the simplest one for our clients to use right out of the box. But, looks like postnuke does the trick if you are willng to spend the time customizing it...

Nice URL mod r/w as well - I imagine this will help, especially with google - noticed that youput a "-" between words to accomodate google - when we built our site, we used "_" - simply because we didnt know any better at the time - every other search engine recognizes "_" as a space or character break - except google - live and learn I guess :)
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I meant to have a look into Mambo. A friend of mine has just recently gotten into that (switch from PostNuke, to his own thing, now he's giving Mambo a try).

Yeah, I did a lot of mods to ReptileRooms. I was on the PostNuke support team, and contributed a lil to the code in early '02, so I wanted to mod it and learn the script inside out. Best way to do that is to just jump right in and do it.

Yeah, the URL mod REALLY helps. It's a combination of a couple of mods I found for OTHER scripts, and a few of my own creations. That was when the site took the huge bandwidth jump in '04. Google's index of the site went from around 150 pages to about 40,000 pages (at the time. Now it varies between 10,000-60,000 from day to day, heh).

Plus, I'd just merged with another site at the time, and added another 1200 new members and about 500 new pages of content. So, that and the mod_rewrite work really made a huge huge change in the site's traffic.

PHPSector I'm writing with mod_rewrite too, but I'm taking that into account when I'm doing the coding of the site to speed it up. Rather than cache every page's output, run it through a function to rewrite the URLs, then echo it back out, I'm just coding the rewritten URLs right into the script. That way, the only extra thing I need is the .htaccess directives. Seems to make the site run a lil bit quicker, and once you end up with a site that has a few hundred people on it at the same time, that extra 0.1 second on each page's load can make a difference in system load & resources.
  • craigk
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: New Mexico

Post 3+ Months Ago

For hosting, I have had the best luck with 1and1.com. Price seems fair and have always had great luck with any tech support issues.
Craig
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

im about to order from a hoster for 10 dollars a year i get

500 mb
5 gb bandwith
free domain name

yep....it better then freewebs so im happy lol

i think im not gonna use all of that 5 gb bandwith so i voted for 1-3
  • craigk
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: New Mexico

Post 3+ Months Ago

Where are you finding that for $10 a year?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 51 posts