How much would it cost to set up a website host?

• peterstannard
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • peterstannard

Post 3+ Months Ago

HI

I have just been thinking of possibly setting up a hosting company, nothing major or anything, just a dedicated server to host some friends websites on or something.

I was wondering what sort of cost you are looking at when doing something like this. How much would a dedicated server be, how much are the licenses for Cpanel and things like that? Who are the best "people" to rent/co-locate your dedicated server with?

Just a few pointers would be great.

Thank you
Peter
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

i would start out with a reseller account first. a basic server with cpannel can be as low as 70 a month.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you don't know what is involved in running a host (keeping the software on the server up to date WITHOUT disrupting operations, setting up the OS and server securely, tuning to maximum performance, etc) then you really shouldn't try. It requires a good understanding of the software involved.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello peterstannard,

Usually when people are looking to first enter this industry, they start off with a reseller account and eventually move into a VDS or a Dedicated Server.

Going the route of a reseller account allows you to focus on your core competencies (ie scripting, graphics, running your sites, etc) withou need to worry about server management and hardening..

However, if you have some real high demand sites, you may not have a choice but to go with a dedicated server. If this is the case - then you are best to find a provider that offers fully managed dedicated servers. Everyones definition of fully managed differs - and when services are involved - you really do get what you pay for (ie this isnt very cheap). For a fully managed dedicated server (meaning you do not touch any aspect of the OS, control panel or associated software/platforms), you are looking at $400 and up per month.

If you have under 100 sites to host and none of them are real resource hogs - your best best really is to go with a reseller account. Depending which control panel you choose - you can get all the functionality you require including payment gateways, helpdesks, billing systems, plan magagement, integrated registrar services, etc...

The downside to reseller hosting is your service is only as reliable as your providers service... So, make sure you choose wisely on this front. If your provider doesnt do a good job at keeping their environment updated and patched - you might as well do this yourself and take your chances..

Hope this helps...
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

I could'nt have said it better myself. Except that $400 is a lttle high on the bottom of the scale. I would put the cost estimates at $300+ for a fully managed box on a quality network with quality hardware, SLA and terms. When you start getting in the 400+ range you are looking at very specifc hardware configurations. These should not be necessary for your very basic needs.

CartikaHosting wrote:
Hello peterstannard,

Usually when people are looking to first enter this industry, they start off with a reseller account and eventually move into a VDS or a Dedicated Server.

Going the route of a reseller account allows you to focus on your core competencies (ie scripting, graphics, running your sites, etc) withou need to worry about server management and hardening..

However, if you have some real high demand sites, you may not have a choice but to go with a dedicated server. If this is the case - then you are best to find a provider that offers fully managed dedicated servers. Everyones definition of fully managed differs - and when services are involved - you really do get what you pay for (ie this isnt very cheap). For a fully managed dedicated server (meaning you do not touch any aspect of the OS, control panel or associated software/platforms), you are looking at $400 and up per month.

If you have under 100 sites to host and none of them are real resource hogs - your best best really is to go with a reseller account. Depending which control panel you choose - you can get all the functionality you require including payment gateways, helpdesks, billing systems, plan magagement, integrated registrar services, etc...

The downside to reseller hosting is your service is only as reliable as your providers service... So, make sure you choose wisely on this front. If your provider doesnt do a good job at keeping their environment updated and patched - you might as well do this yourself and take your chances..

Hope this helps...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts