How to protect your code

• PolishHurricane
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Say theoretically a company has a huge website they've been working on with a ton of code that they spent months creating and they need to get a web host in some shape or form and they go out and get one. What's there to prevent an employee of the hosting company they picked or anybody who has access to the server that the source code of the website is on, from copying that code, saying it is theirs and using it, or going further and even taking someone to court, claiming it is their code and getting away with it?

I mean aside from code obfuscation, which is pretty extreme in my opinion and doesn't really stop the program from doing what it's doing in the wrong hands, what do software companies do to protect their code? I mean, even if you get a contract with your web hosting provider saying they will not "steal any code", how does one prove code is theirs without anybody hijacking it? I've talked to some people and they said some things about getting a license which seems like it would be the right direction, but I know little about it. I also know one professional programmer that had his program patented, which seldom happens and takes forever. Anybody know any good non-public general program licenses or ways to prove your code is your code?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
What's there to prevent an employee of the hosting company they picked or anybody who has access to the server that the source code of the website is on, from copying that code, saying it is theirs and using it, or going further and even taking someone to court, claiming it is their code and getting away with it?

"Prior Art". All of the records for everything from developer paychecks to email communications between developers about the software which should pre-date anything the nefarious person(s) could produce by months.
  • PolishHurricane
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

What if it was one person? I guess copyright lines are useful because if you find a cached version of your website on one of those web archive websites with your name & date I'm sure that would help.
  • Silmarillion
  • Silmarillion

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanx guys. i was looking for this info.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts