how to start a hosting site?

• yuriythebest
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Ukraine

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am thinking about starting a free host service with forced adds. Will it be possible to do that with a reseller hosting account? Does anyone have liks to good resources and tips on how to start such a thing?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

To have a free host you can use a reseller account. If your wanting to use a form on your website for signups, then some contorl panels use APIs which create accounts automatically.

Some control panels such as: cPanel, DirectAdmin and i think H-Sphere.

The only tip i can give is make sure your financially secure. Also, with the amount of free hosts available you will need to do some heavy marketing. But in the other hand, it will be free so it shouldnt be long until you get people registering.
  • yuriythebest
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks- the question I must now change- lets say I have a reseller hosting account, do you know any tutorials on how to add forced adds and automated registration?
  • Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem

Post 3+ Months Ago

Automated registration as i said above is to do with the control panels API. If you are to use php then the control panel company will/may have a php class to connect to your reseller accounts server, and auto-create accounts etc...

I am not sure about having forced ads on pages.

There is a control panel out there that supports auto-signups and free registrations. I believe a free control panel is zPanel but this is only if you have your own server.

Other than that take a look at H-sphere, see if that supports free signups etc... then if it fits your needs you can search for a H-sphere host.
  • yuriythebest
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

H-sphere seems good but you have to be rich to afford it, as for owning your own server, hmm. Any easiet way to start a free host?
  • Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem

Post 3+ Months Ago

How about looking for a web host that has H-sphere and becoming a reseller with them? This way it will be cheaper for you.
  • yuriythebest
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Makes sence, I guess the definition of reselling is bendable- I could use a reselling plan to provide free hosting, seen hosts that provide reselling with h sphere at 15$/month if I'm not mistaken- as long as the payments are monthly and not yearly its affordable- though still this question with forced adds bugs me- using php or any other language how do I make them? Finding tutorials on that using a search engine is impossible because all the results show stuff like "no forced adds".
  • Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem

Post 3+ Months Ago

Obviously H-Sphere is not the only solution. As long as the control panel has an API so you can auto-creates accounts will do. There is always free software such as PHP-COIN for support etc...

But yeah for free hosting it does make sense to get a reseller. Don't forget to look up your webhosts TOS though. This could be against the rules.
  • yuriythebest
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the tip, never thought about the TOS. How do I add forced adds?
  • Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not sure about forced ads, but an idea could be to let your members insert a banner code on the main page of there website where appropriate. Maybe have this as a rule or they get banned?
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
H-sphere seems good but you have to be rich to afford it, as for owning your own server, hmm. Any easiet way to start a free host?

This isnt entirely true. It is accurate to say the startup costs with hsphere are higher, however, your total cost of ownership over 12-24 months is significantly less then other control panels (problem is, not enough hosts think that far ahead - which is scary really)

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, never thought about the TOS. How do I add forced adds?

ANY reputable provider will not allow their resellers to utilize their account for free hosting. If you are serious about a free hosting service, you should look into getting your own dedicated server.

Regarding forced ads - this is really difficult to accomplish, as even with basic ftp access, a user can remove those ads. However, in hsphere, there is a module available for default index page - which you could create and apply to all accounts and domains/subdomains created within your system - as mentioned, you could then have verbatim within your TOS making it necessary for users to leave the ad codes in place.

Hope this helps...
  • yuriythebest
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is it possible to rent a dedicated server for a reasonable ammount (below 100$/month)?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts