How do you make a forum for your website?

• tacopaco
  • Born
  • Born
  • tacopaco

Post 3+ Months Ago

how do u make a forum for ur website i need to know now
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can easily download one and customise it yourself...

http://www.phpbb.com/

or

http://www.vbulletin.com/
  • pedrotuga
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, there is a few ways.
you have to use a forum script, the most popular are

phpBB
Invision Power Board
Vbulletin
SMF (this one i think is new)

They all look the nearly the same, my favourite is PHPBB because Its opens source. This forum (ozzu.com) runs phpBB.

In order to have one off these scripts running you need to find some hosting with php and mysql, otherwise it simply won't run.

Otherwise you can go into this specialized companies that already have the sript installed so u can simply create your forum by clicking next next next next.... They keep the database in their own hosting.
The bad is that they add a banner and u cant access the database yourself.

So this is my recomendation:
If you need a forum now go to myfreebb.com and create a forum now... its as simple as click next a few times. At this time you have your problem fixed, but in my opinion you should go as further as the end of this post ;).

then, after having your forum online running 100%, relax and visit phpbb, vbulletin, etc websites and understand how does the wole thing works.
After you get into it ask myfreebb.com for a backup of your database and store it somwhere so u can run your forum in your own hosting.

Note that undestanding how the wole thing works can take a few weeks depending on how familiar with php/mysql basic concepts you are.

PS.: I said myfreebb.com but there are thousands of other companies. I picked this one because they are the only one i know that provide you the database if you want to move to your own hosting.
  • Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would recommend VBulletin. Way more features and is a bit better than PHPBB
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Funny_Fuzz wrote:

vBulletin costs $160 USD where as phpBB is free. There's really no compelling reason that I've seen to pay $160 for vBulletin when phpBB offers basically the same functionality but free.
  • templastorm
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • templastorm
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

In terms of how you install it, there are ways to do it automatically (multiple ways actually) but I prefer to do it manually just because I know that everything went through that way.
  • Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

TomK wrote:
Funny_Fuzz wrote:

vBulletin costs $160 USD where as phpBB is free. There's really no compelling reason that I've seen to pay $160 for vBulletin when phpBB offers basically the same functionality but free.

From what I've done, VBulletin has a lot more features and options in the Admin. But you're pretty right when it comes to pricing...
  • peterstannard
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • peterstannard

Post 3+ Months Ago

Enzyme_X wrote:
Hi,

Well i would go for Vitrax, thats a premodded phpBB. becuz when u do phpbb only u will find out its a litle borring, and to make it nice u gotta add allot of mods.

Wich will come up with allot of error when u have serval mods...and vbb cost money, and also there u gotta add allot of mods.

Just check Vitrax

Goodluck

SMF!!!! http://www.simplemachines.org
  • pedrotuga
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Enzyme_X wrote:
Hi,

Well i would go for Vitrax, thats a premodded phpBB. becuz when u do phpbb only u will find out its a litle borring, and to make it nice u gotta add allot of mods.

Wich will come up with allot of error when u have serval mods...and vbb cost money, and also there u gotta add allot of mods.

Just check Vitrax

Goodluck

The thing with the premodded versions is that thew are not so suitable to update... or u cant update them at all most of the times.
Before i thought this was no prob, but when i saw a forum like arlo.net being hacked....
i advice everybody to use latest versions of phpbb
  • pedrotuga
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

and by the way... this forum runs phpbb
  • pedrotuga
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here's a small list of features thant dont came with phpbb but in my opinion are important.

Quick repply box
show print friendly version
low-fi version (beter for slow connections)
Thread subscription (not by email)
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

vbulletin has TONS of features phpbb doesn't, but be aware that a new version of phpbb is in the works and not too far from release. They're puttin gin a lot of the 'extras' you get in vB this time around, and i think vB will lose a lot of sales because of it. You can find out more info on this on phpobb's site - phpbb.com.
  • Enzyme_X
  • Born
  • Born
  • Enzyme_X

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its not true that u cannot update...in fact good projects make there own updte scripts fully automated. and all mods still work. Also phpbb can have the same or even more options then vbb if ya mod it..u can also do this with vbb but then after paying 160USD

Vbb are just money eaters, and phpbb trying to kill this...and u will see it will work.

And about the sites that got hacked, thats the admin there fault, they should not have lack on updates, because thats what u get then. own fault, dont blame phpBB

[/quote]
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

well you said the magic words: if you hack it. That takes time and energy, so if you're like me, then time is money. I would rather pay the fee one time and get what I want and need right away then to have to spend time after time putting in the mods over and over as phpbb gets updated. Over and over again, if you want to keep the options, you h ave to reinstall them. I know...because I've done. And frankly after 2 times, it was enough for me to say it's not worth the time any more.

vB can be hacked and have functionality added as well. And I hate to tell you, but phpbb, hacked or not, is not even CLOSE to having the same number of options and control. This is especially true for the admin areas.

I'm a fan and supporter of both board systems, don't get me wrong I love them both for their own reasons. But I can't stand someone saying that phpbb is just as good in terms of options when that simply is not true. For posting and reading and keep a regular board, it's great. If you want more for you buck right off the bat, vB is the way to go.
  • Enzyme_X
  • Born
  • Born
  • Enzyme_X

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dont get mad ;) just chill we talk about some board not ur life :D, anyway u can MOD phpbb and it aint as good as vbb but still its CLOSE yes it is. and if u use a GOOD premodded, u can update without reinstall m8 , because the authors made a special script

But if u got more money then time, buy vbb :D

Grtz
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

i wasn't mad at all! I promise. Just annoyed because I've said this so many time.Image

what you just said is the same thing I just did pretty much. Image I love phpbb, I used it on several sites. But those sites don't require a lot of attention or features other than posting and reading so it's great! I have another board that requires much much more than phpb can offer, even with mods. And spending the time on a premodded board or modding it myself was out of the question.

Anyway, no hard feelings, I wasn't trying to come off as a jerk. Sorry for that. Image
  • pedrotuga
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

UNFLUX wrote:
well you said the magic words: if you hack it. That takes time and energy, so if you're like me, then time is money. I would rather pay the fee one time and get what I want and need right away then to have to spend time after time putting in the mods over and over as phpbb gets updated. Over and over again, if you want to keep the options, you h ave to reinstall them. I know...because I've done. And frankly after 2 times, it was enough for me to say it's not worth the time any more.

vB can be hacked and have functionality added as well. And I hate to tell you, but phpbb, hacked or not, is not even CLOSE to having the same number of options and control. This is especially true for the admin areas.

I'm a fan and supporter of both board systems, don't get me wrong I love them both for their own reasons. But I can't stand someone saying that phpbb is just as good in terms of options when that simply is not true. For posting and reading and keep a regular board, it's great. If you want more for you buck right off the bat, vB is the way to go.

I couldn't say it so well!
I 100% agee with you.
Well, there's not so much to say...

I cant wait until phpbb newversion is released.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have phpBB2 for a forum. Of course it is still is run by phpBB2. What I mean is that the original provider of phpBB2 still servers my forum. I have to find a nice site server. :oops:

Well, it is a good service. The Forum runs smoothly.
  • SuperHostUsa.net
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am a long time user of the "Webwiz" forum system. It is written in asp and it is free. Since I know a little bit of asp it is simple for me to modify it for my needs.
Does anybody else have experience with "Webwiz"?

P.S.
-----
You can download it from http://www.webwizguide.info/
  • euk-roger
  • euk-roger

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think if you are new to a forum and you have no idea if it will take off or not, than it will be good to start with a free one first like phpbb.
  • xxsssxx
  • Born
  • Born
  • xxsssxx

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey myfreebb.com is off right now so can u give another website i can make a website so that i can use phpbb --please help
  • coolio
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • coolio

Post 3+ Months Ago

A good free site is phpbb.us
i run my site geocities.com/surgmcq on it
It works good for me
  • coolio
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • coolio

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry the website is phpnet.us
  • hassan99
  • Born
  • Born
  • hassan99

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey can any one help me i downloaded the phbb forum and i have all of the files but i don't know how to open the forum please can u tell me
  • guyhosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, just checked and it's true this forum is using phpBB. This forum has to be the fastest forum I have ever been on. Second I was going to say the most of the pro's use vbulletin. I'm not sure that's relevant now.

Also to give you an idea of what to do after you've got the software up and running is that your going to have to "prime the pump" as they say.

To get the forum going your going to have to do a lot of posting your self to get the ball rolling or have visitors help you by offering them something like links or something for x amount of posts.

Very few forums just start out heating your server up with users.

Hope this helped.
  • gu3
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NCL- England

Post 3+ Months Ago

i run a freerunning ofrum using http://www.forumcircle.com its really easy to use and its web based do you dont need to download anything.
  • QZoners
  • Born
  • Born
  • QZoners
  • Loc: Sidoarjo - Indonesia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is there anyone offer SMF ? I thinks it a powerfull forum too. You can get it in http://simplemachines.org.

And this is a sample of SMF Forum that I have been made

http://aku.punya.web.id/forum/
  • gu3
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NCL- England

Post 3+ Months Ago

for the ofrum i created i used http://www.forumcircle.com its easy to use only problem is that u get advertising on your forum if u want it or not.
  • articlehorizon.com
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • articlehorizon.com
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I downloaded SMF, and tested it works very good, it has more functionality then phpBB. The admin panel is pretty nice and has a lot of options and it's free.
  • lander88
  • Born
  • Born
  • lander88

Post 3+ Months Ago

discuz ,phpwind
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information