HTML pages keep disappearing

• Eyesbryte
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi!

I have a problem that's causing me to pull out my hair! I use WS-FTP to upload my websites. Recently, I've uploaded html pages to a web site and the pages are visible at first but then will mysteriously disappear later. It's driving me nuts! I've been designing web sites for about 3 years now and have used this particular host several times, and this is the first time I've ever had this problem. Any idea what it could be?

Thanks!
Brooke
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• rDolay
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • rDolay

Post 3+ Months Ago

I 've never heard something like that
Are those disapeared pages still existing within the dir. when you FTP to it?
If no then change your FTP password because the only probibility is that someone that knows your password is kidding with you lol
  • Eyesbryte
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know... it's making me paranoid! But yes, the files are still visible in the directory and I've cleaned out my cache and tested it on several computers...yet the files remain missing! ARRRGG!
  • rDolay
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • rDolay

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why do not you give some details ? Domain name - disappearing pages ?
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you perchance using Internet Explorer 6 to view the pages?
I ask since there is a bug in some versions (patch levels) which act as though they have returned to a site, though show nothing but a blank screen; I believe the problem to exist within the browser cache mechanics.
Usually stopping, then refreshing brings the page back.
(You may also test this theory by utilizing another browser, such as Mozilla Firefox.)

I realize this is rudimentary, and if you have already attempted such, I apologize.

If this is not the case and the files ARE actually disappearing -- that is to say you log into the host device and search the directory only to find all the files missing -- then perhaps it might be a good idea to speak to your web host. It's entirely possible the files are being placed in a directory that cron's a cleanup; a command is run to wipe certain directories it considers to be temporary at certain intervals via an automatic "alarm clock" of sorts.

More information might be appropriate for proper PD. Several I can think of off the top of my head; where are the files hosted? Who else has authority for write access to that directory tree? Where exactly is that tree in relation to the root directory? verify crontab for root and all authorized users of that directory tree?

Cheers!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts