inhouse hosting advice

• shiftyshaun
  • Born
  • Born
  • shiftyshaun

Post 3+ Months Ago

We are currently investigating moving from an ISP to hosting inhouse. Does anyone know of any documents I can read about the pros and cons or whats involved?

any help is appreciated!

Shaun
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• openbluhost
  • Loc: Florida, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

What kind of connection are you going to have inhouse ?
How big is your website that you are planing to host. Number of visits?

There is several advantages of hosting with Web hosting provider.

-Price
-Speed
-Uptime
-Backup Power

For you to even come close to all those advantages by hosting inhouse, You would need to spend at least some $2,000 to $5,000 in setup cost.
And spend at least $600 a month depending what kind of speed you would require ($600 is for T1 connection)
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

openbluhost is right on the money with that info.
why exactly do you want to host yourself?
  • Digitelle
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: BRKLYN-NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I am tacking my question onto this one because I have a similar issue. I am running my site of a professional hosting service but I am hosting about 16 gigs of media off a G4 that has been set up as a webserver, the amount of media will only grow. I am in no position to afford pro-hosting for all that media, but my server is set up in my studio which is running Verizon DSL (yuck). So I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for ISPs that might offer a better deal - besides the obvious Time Warner cable, Verizon, and Cablevision. I am doing some reasearch into optical lines and T1 through earthlink and whatnot - but I thought I might see what hard earned experience has to say about it.

Thanks
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Digitelle wrote:
Hi, I am tacking my question onto this one because I have a similar issue. I am running my site of a professional hosting service but I am hosting about 16 gigs of media off a G4 that has been set up as a webserver, the amount of media will only grow. I am in no position to afford pro-hosting for all that media, but my server is set up in my studio which is running Verizon DSL (yuck). So I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for ISPs that might offer a better deal - besides the obvious Time Warner cable, Verizon, and Cablevision. I am doing some reasearch into optical lines and T1 through earthlink and whatnot - but I thought I might see what hard earned experience has to say about it.

Thanks

Digitelle,
Is your concern with the amount of data you have to offer, or an associated problem with delivery? Such as bandwidth, in terms of utilization and/or availability to a broader scope of customers?

If hosting 16G or more at your present facility itself is not the issue, you may want to consider a front end solution like Akamai. Your content, while streaming media, seems static and is a good fit for 'cacheability' requirements.

Sadly, I am not sure what it costs at that level, but I know it's cheaper than building out an adequate infrastructure.

Something to think about anyway.

It depends greatly upon your requirements and concerns regarding your present situation.

Cheers.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

As for the previous question, please define "in-house", as it relates to your ISP situation.

Does that mean, managed hosting, un-managed but dedicated hosting, shared hosting (managed or otherwise) or actually obtaining the required infrastucture on YOUR site to host?

Both blu and Unflux have a point; be more specific with your requirements.
Cheers.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts