Intranet Speeds not fast enough?

• PolishHurricane
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have an Apache server on my network on an XP Pro machine and I'm trying to share some media with my brothers computer, but his download speed is only about 1.1 megabytes a second, before I've had it like 10 times faster. Anybody know what could be the problem? I was wondering if it could be an apache server limit or something? I'm pretty sure the network hardware can handle it, both computers have Gigabit Ethernet cards with at least Cat5e the router says it has up to 54Mbps data rate, which I assume is 6.75MB/s.

Do I need to use a protocol, like FTP? I'm just serving the file over HTTP.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is there something on his system slowing down the write process ?

I'm able to transfer a zip file from a 700mhz/512MB Apache server to this system between 10-11 MBps with some rather dated networking equipment.

When I use FTP to upload things from this system to that one, I get maybe 3 MBps tops because that system writes slower than this one.
  • PolishHurricane
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not sure. It would most likely be a writing/receiving issue over a read/upload issue right? I have a lot of crap running on my XP Apache computer. He has a relatively new laptop, not sure what's in it for a hard drive though. Could an anti-virus on the XP Pro w/Apache make it hand out files slower? Kind of doesn't make any sense.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts