JSP hosting. Why is it so rare?

• Al Polonski
  • Born
  • Born
  • Al Polonski

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi!

I was browsing the Net seeking the reliable and big JSP hosting companies. But I haven't found anything except several small JSP hosting providers. And no info why PHP is better than JAVA. Better for hosting companies.

So, I wonder, whether there are some objective reasons that make such an impact on the hosting market development? Why only rare hosting companies support JSP? Is it easy for them (I mean PHP hosting companies) to include JSP into their services? Or maybe it will be unprofitable? If so, why so?

All your suggestions or links to info re this question would be great.

Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• fawh
  • Student
  • Student
  • fawh

Post 3+ Months Ago

It might be because JSP requires more resources to run on a server. There are some large web hosts that support it.

Apollo, midPhase, StartLogic, Lunarpages and Jumpline support JSP.
  • Al Polonski
  • Born
  • Born
  • Al Polonski

Post 3+ Months Ago

But are there advantages that make hosting companies include Java into there hosting plans?

Here is the problem I've faced.
There is a reliable web solution built on J2EE. Hence it needs JSP hosting to be installed, for example in Hungary. But there is only one Hungarian company, which supports JSP. Any otheê company refuse even a thought of it.

So, the person, who'd like to use this solution should buy dedicated server, which is quite costly, you know. Fair enough, but the solution is not in the upper tier. It's quite cheap and is aimed to be used by simple people. Though is built on J2EE.

What I see, is the need to persuade the hosting company to add JSP support into its hosting plan. Yeah, it's like a marketing case I suppose. So, is there some technical or other advantages for the hosting company to support JSP? Or it's the primordial failure?

In more simple terms: is there really strong incompatibility between JAVA based web applications and affordable shared hosting?
  • fawh
  • Student
  • Student
  • fawh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you considered using a web host outside Hungary? The hosts I listed are all from the United States, but have clients worldwide. Some of them do require an extra fee for JSP support. With Lunarpages and midPhase, it's two dollars a month more.

Check out this thread.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthrea ... genumber=1

It points out the benefits of both PHP and JSP.
  • jetbrains
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jetbrains

Post 3+ Months Ago

My host is located in serversea.com.
very cheap,but not very stable

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts