just signed for dreamhost. not bad but.

• pedrotuga
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well.. i have just signed with dreamhost.com

well... for 29 dolars a year i get 20GB 1TB /month unlimited domain host a free .com domain unlimited mysql etc etc...

but i think its a bit tricky to use their control panel... i was used to cpanel or siteworx... anyway... the features are all there.

i think its a great deal...

now i am looking for a place to buy another domain
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you read/understand the TOS? Your sites can not utilize more than 30mins of CPU time PER DAY! With this type of resource limitation you will be hard pressed trying to consume 1TB of bandwidth in a month. Great deal not looking so great now huh man ... Keep dreamin lol thats about the only way you will get to host unlimited domains that will consume 20GB of diskspace and 1TB og monthly bandwidth.

More often than not you get what you pay for!
  • pedrotuga
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

That restriction have just been droped. No CPU time restriction.
  • funlounge
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • funlounge

Post 3+ Months Ago

Watch out, it's 29 dollars for the FIRST YEAR if you used a Promo Code..

The the second year becomes the normal 119$..
Alternatively you can create a new account each year ;)... just joking, you can't of course :(
But you knew that, right ?
  • pedrotuga
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yep... i knew that very well.
after one year i see what i do.
Actually i cant see why i cant sign up again... well i wouldnt do that anyway.

when you are starting is when u dont need expenses at all.

whithin a year i expect to be running about 4 r five sites... thats kind of ok... after all 119$ is the average price for that king of plan.
  • Green11
  • Green11

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hence the $29 a year!
I thought that sounded a bit too cheap :)

You get what you pay for ;)
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
That restriction have just been droped. No CPU time restriction.

They have not removed the CPU restriction, they just stopped pulishing it...

Theres only so many ways you can use 1 TB of transfer on a dual xeon server to begin with - let alone when its crammed on there with 1000's of other accounts also allocated 1 TB of transfer.

They have very real CPU limitations - as does any provider - as CPU is a limiting resource - and the more oversold a server is, the less CPU resource you have - period.

Do me a favour - load up a script like osCommerce or Zen Cart of phpBB on their servers - then compare its performance with other providers - heck, just compare it with this board...

You know whats really funny - this board doesnt use anywhere near 20 GB disk space and 1 TB of bandwith (just an educated guess) - but, I can assure you that this board can never be run on one of those dreamhost accounts....

Having said all of this - if you have a straight html and download site and need to use alot of bandwith - dreamhost is probably a good option....
  • pedrotuga
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

they removed it.

They said in their newsleter:
the cpu is not metered anymore, though if you consume a lot we contact you in order to put you in another server.

Now, i know that 1TB times a lot of users in the same server is surreal. Thats very true. I dont use anything close to that. But, i this way i know that if i get slashdoted or something i am not ever caught by a bandwidth limit. Or in case my databases grow very fast etc etc i dont need to upgrade or whatsoever.

I said 20gb in the first post... it's actualy 200GB growing 8gb/week.

thats *plum*... i know that the hard drive is not as big as 200gb times number of users...

anyway... i am running two dinamic sites with one forum each, i am getting 1000 uniques/day on one and 2000 on another... so far is running damn fast.
  • wehostem
  • Born
  • Born
  • wehostem

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been a little weary of dreamhost. He has been around for awhile so I guess that is saying something? But I see a lot come and go from them because php settings don't meet the users needs. I hear they allow the ability to compile a local version of php? I don't think most website owners know how to do that however.
  • coyouth
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Web Hosts Selling Hosting Plans at a Loss are Treading Dangerous Ground

Loss leading is not a new phenomenon in the web hosting industry. For those unaware of what the technical term actually refers to; loss leading is where a company sells a product at a loss in order to attract customers in the hope they will purchase other full-price products from the company. The sales of domain names at less than $10 by industry giants such as EV1Servers two years ago was just a precursor to recent marketing attempts by HostGator and Dreamhost to name but a few.

Selling domain names at a loss is not a high-risk strategy. The low costs associated with domain names mean web hosting companies are able to absorb the losses they make on the domains. The idea is to quickly build brand equity. And by offering the domain names in conjunction with the hosting, hosts are theoretically able to profit.

Recent marketing attempts by web hosts now include selling the web hosting itself as a loss leader. Dreamhost is an example of such a host. By offering coupon codes and other associated discounts for the first year of service, consumers can purchase extremely beefy shared hosting accounts for rock bottom prices. The business model relies on customer loyalty due to outstanding support being enough of an incentive to retain customers in the second year. The added effect of viral marketing surrounding the extremely low-priced accounts is expected to increase Dreamhost’s brand value whilst a slew of higher priced accounts and dedicated server upgrades to up-sell to the customer are expected to cover the loss-leading costs of the first year.

Of the three objectives mentioned in the previous paragraph, only two have exhibited any signs of being realized. Clever marketing in the form of a refreshingly honest company blog and the willingness to admit to their own mistakes during recent downtime has meant the company is beginning to gather solid backing from their client base. Customer loyalty is not always forthcoming when it comes to loss-leading. The client base attracted by the pricing are those that do not associate higher priced products with less risk and are more likely to host-hop in search of further savings. The brand equity for Dreamhost however has unquestionably increased. Almost all webmaster discussion forums on the Internet are laden with posts discussing Dreamhost’s exceptional pricing strategy.

Dreamhost will be banking on the brand equity to help pull them through once their pricing strategy is normalized. They are the most cited example in this article because of the fact they were one of the first hosts to adopt such an aggressive loss leading pricing strategy. However, the myth that being the first on the market is some sort of advantage has been debunked long ago. There are now several different hosting players offering similar priced hosting services, and whilst the number of hosts continues to snow ball, consumer demand has not kept up.

However, it would be entirely over ambitious of a web hosting company to believe that by adopting a loss leading strategy on such a grand scale they will be able to sustain the losses for a number of years until competitors have been killed off, consumers are hooked into the service offered by the company and, subsequently, they can raise their prices. The velocity of the approach undertaken by Dreamhost is different to that of the host which pursued the under $10 domain name loss leader strategy. The model is the same: switch for the price, stay for the service; however, in the case of the latter, domain names presented a slow lower cost build up in comparison to Dreamhost’s grandiose efforts

A greater problem exists for smaller web hosts who look at the Dreamhost business model and seek to emulate it. Rapid growth and the adding of so many new accounts in a short space of time is an attractive proposition. However, loss leading on a shoestring is also a recipe for disaster. Loss leading can be conducted by a host the size of Dreamhost or HostGator. These hosts have a reliable cash flow, and their deep pockets can fund such operations in the tougher early years. A start-up/small host does not have this luxury. Not to mention the competitive scene which many hosts will find themselves in (early adopters of this pricing strategy were running in an open field, now the market is a lot more crowded).

If customer loyalty is in doubt and brand equity temperamental to sudden changes, then surely the key to profitability is up-selling? By moving a customer from a single shared hosting account to virtual private server or even a dedicated server realizes the dream of every host indulging in loss leading. Each advertising dollar spent on acquiring the customer is automatically vindicated as the higher profit margins of the up-sold product cover such losses. However, the fact that a great shared hosting service provider might not be a great dedicated server provider remains an issue.
Certainly one key problem is the actual method of overselling. Many hosts have played on the server resource card. Sir, you are fine as far as space and bandwidth consumption goes, but I’m afraid you are monopolizing CPU minutes; it’s time to give us more money!

As mentioned before, the type of client attracted by this pricing is always on the lookout for savings and is more than likely to jump hosts and repeat the process elsewhere. Dreamhost, to its credit, has marketed up selling a slight deal better than your average host. By removing the notion of discriminating accounts based on CPU minutes, vowing instead to move resource intensive sites to servers with lesser loads, they are in effect flattering customers into purchasing full-priced solutions. An intelligent way of applying a loss leading strategy however — even in the Internet age — it takes time to build successful products and Dreamhost’s other full-priced products have yet to achieve the same recognition as their loss leader.

The industry has come to a stage where consumers are used to lower priced offerings for a service that costs the service provider a lot more to put out on the market. If the consumer is used to a $5/month account, it is easier to switch them to a $10/month account. It’s basic pricing psychology.

When it comes to loss leading, smaller hosts cannot afford to play the same game as the giants of the industry (but will attempt to do so anyway) and larger hosts are not guaranteed long term success in executing these strategies. The signs point to a rocky future for web hosts and, thus, extra scrutiny being placed on the likes of Dreamhost to see if they will ever realize their ambitions. Obituaries will come thick and fast if they fail; however, if they do succeed, it will be nothing short of a miracle and the likes of Dallas Kashuba and Josh Jones will be regarded as modern day magicians!
GeeksGather.Com
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Boo for coyouth:
http://ezinearticles.com/?Web-Hosts-Tha ... &id=332074

Copying articles without consent or giving credit is plagarism.
  • Evenhost
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

what people don't seem to understand is that when you see "3.99 a year webhosting!" or "1.99 a month!" it sounds great but it is usually terrible. When you are charging rediculously low prices, you end up being unable to provide reliable services to your customers. You get what you pay for. Splurge the extra couple of dollars for a host thats actually going to provide good service. This isn't a comment on dream host necesarily (since I have not dealt with them) but on the hosting market in general.
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know which author deserves the credit however the fact remains that article are poignant. Additionally I believe mega oversellers seek to attract websites that have little or no growth potential. It makes sense to weed out the sites that use more than 5GB or bandwidth per month or more than 5-10% of CPU/RAM resources when you have the oversold the box.

These are not the client base our business is modeled on. We seek to attract customers who appreciate prompt, professional and courteous 24/7 service, support and security.

dyefade wrote:
Boo for coyouth:
http://ezinearticles.com/?Web-Hosts-Tha ... &id=332074

Copying articles without consent or giving credit is plagarism.
  • roosevelt
  • roosevelt

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know why you guys are just blaming Dreamhost but here's the fact about any company who offers 999 GB space or web spaces like 1 TB etc...

1) Modern technology doesn't allow such features for individual accounts yet.
2) They put CPU Usage limit.
3) They put file size limit.
4) They put file upload limit.
5) Even though some company might allow dedicated php.ini support, it sometimes doesn't override the file upload limit.
6) Just think there are also accounts like yours in the same server with the same features. And if they are consuming too much resource of the server then it also affects your website.
  • lushdigital
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Greenlush.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

dreamhost oversell, thats why i would rarther go for another web host, they have good prices but as i said they oversell
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Now, i know that 1TB times a lot of users in the same server is surreal. Thats very true. I dont use anything close to that. But, i this way i know that if i get slashdoted or something i am not ever caught by a bandwidth limit.

If you get slashdotted on dreamhost, you will have your account suspended - please do not foll yourself (or others for that matter :) )
  • pinkink
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really like Dreamhost for what I need. I just run a few personal sites; I don't have content that's going to get slasdotted or dugg, and I've got no forums to invade. During my time with them (which isn't horribly long, but still), I've only had two downtimes -- one with the heatsurge which they were really informative about, and another a few days ago that lasted maybe two minutes.

I switched from Globat, which was pretty unsatisfactory in my opinion. I went with their 1 terrabyte program (despite better judgement -- I'm always really wary of places that have an 'act now' timer that resets every few days >.>), and later started working with databases. Their php was too outdated to do what I wanted, and I was angry about having to fight off a barrage of "helpful upgrades" they would charge to my card if I didn't click a particular link and fill out information to stop them. A few times during roadtrips and vacations, I got hit with a few of these charges when I was heaven forbid away from my computer.

I cancelled my account in September -- my plan was supposedly over in November/December, yet it's still available. I'm really nervous about them deciding that it's grounds to charge me for another year of hosting that I don't want, because I'm a poor kid who can't particularly afford 100+ random charge to my debit. It's been in the 'cancellation queue' for months.

By comparison, Dreamhost is, well, dreamy. I wouldn't recommend it for everyone -- hell, Warren Ellis ended up having to move because his site took up way too much power on their servers, but for small-scale operations, it's not bad at all, and for stuff like personal sites and things that aren't going to get hit by visitors en masse, I'd totally recommend them.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts