Is linux hosting better ?

• bambuki22
  • Born
  • Born
  • bambuki22

Post 3+ Months Ago

I decided to have a web site (finally ) and a good frind told me that I should look for a host company with Linux servers (I dont know why though) , he just said will be better thna windows, anyway I wanted always to have my own blog or something so will be graet if I can find a host and also can install one of those free php scripts ?
I saw a site http://properplace.org but I am not sure.
Also do I need to have a lot of traffic available to run a blog on my site?
any suggestion will be appreciated.
  • bambuki22
  • Born
  • Born
  • bambuki22

Post 3+ Months Ago

I decided to have a web site (finally ) and a good frind told me that I should look for a host company with Linux servers (I dont know why though) , he just said will be better thna windows, anyway I wanted always to have my own blog or something so will be graet if I can find a host and also can install one of those free php scripts with linux? I saw a site http://properplace.org but I am not sure.
please help me to choose linux/windows/those it matter ?
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

Please only ask your question in one forum. I have merged the other topic here.

Cheers and welcome to Ozzu, I hope you get the answers you need :D
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Short answer, yes, it matters and Linux is better :)

Long answer, Linux is so much more stable and reliable than windows. The longest ever uptime I've experienced on any windows machine over the past 12 years is about 6 weeks. Yet, I've had several Linux machines (both physically located in my house, as well as remote dedicated servers on the net) that have had uptimes of well over 6 months, and I've personally seen a couple of machines up and running for 2 years without reboots and no issues.

It's generally much faster than a Windows server too (I say generally because it is possible to tweak a windows web server to run pretty quick, BUT for the most part, Linux is going to be faster if you're getting a shared hosting account, and offer you many more features for your buck! :)
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

To continue on the points that Axe was making, Linux is (generally) better at handling threads, processes and networking (IP stack).

What this means to you is greater flexibility and tighter control (read: finite control) over the machine in general. Additionally, better networking means better stack control which directly equates to nimble management of sockets.

Does this generically apply to EVERY Linux on the planet? No. Some distributions are not really meant for serving, and quite frankly the admin needs to know a thing or two -- "out of the box" is NOT the answer.

Cheers.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Daemonguy wrote:
To continue on the points that Axe was making, Linux is (generally) better at [...] and networking (IP stack).

To bring this to a level most of us can understand... My WinXP Pro system gets around 450-500KB/sec max downloads here on the cablemodem (in Win2K Pro I was getting around 350-400KB/sec). On my Linux laptop, I regularly get 700-900KB/sec total download speeds through the cablemodem.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts