Linux vs Windows Pricing

• funnyface
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • funnyface
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have noticed that the difference in pricing between Linux and Windows plans is really minimal, and I have the opportunity to make sure of it looking at the plans of providers offering both Linux and Windows deals, I mean companies like Webhostgiant.com and Sibername.com. The minimal difference between Linux and Windows deals is about $1.00-3.00 for the same amount of resources.
Is the gap between Linux and Windows hosting getting smaller?
  • DanKo
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

funnyface wrote:
I have noticed that the difference in pricing between Linux and Windows plans is really minimal, and I have the opportunity to make sure of it looking at the plans of providers offering both Linux and Windows deals, I mean companies like Webhostgiant.com and Sibername.com. The minimal difference between Linux and Windows deals is about $1.00-3.00 for the same amount of resources.

It looks like that. The gap between Linux and Windows web hosting is getting less. That's true.
But I think the price range will never be the same 'cause Windows hosting isn't open-source.
WebHostGiant.com provides both, SiberName.com provides only Windows.
Reputable companies with stable network.
  • Tonzilit
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

DanKo wrote:
funnyface wrote:

It looks like that. The gap between Linux and Windows web hosting is getting less. That's true.
But I think the price range will never be the same 'cause Windows hosting isn't open-source.
WebHostGiant.com provides both, SiberName.com provides only Windows.
Reputable companies with stable network.

To my mind Windowsweb hosting demand more skills in its management and there are some softwere that are customized for this OS.
Besides I have found some coupons on SiberName.com and WebHostGiant.com services. They are: forumcoupon2008 for Sibername and FormReferral-01 for WebHostGiant.
  • Hob Bramble
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Indiana, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

DanKo wrote:
...I think the price range will never be the same 'cause Windows hosting isn't open-source..

While that is somewhat true, it's worth remembering that some Linux distributions (for example, the enterprise versions of RedHat and SUSE) are not free, and some web hosts use them, so the price advantage isn't really there.

I think another part of the price difference is that some Windows hosting plans come with certain Windows-only features ready to go - for example, ColdFusion. This adds to the price as well, because the host has to purchase the features. (Not that there aren't things Linux hosts pay for too, but you get the idea.)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts