looking to host my own website or buy from host provider

• mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am a high school teacher that loves to use technology in the classroom.
I have built a webpage for my class but dont want it to go through the school due to the avaialbity to update the site takes too long and too much red tape. I just took a graduate class for computer structures and my professor suggested that I make my own hosting server. I am looking to set one up but dont know where to begin. In the meantime I dont mind buying from a host provider. I have already looked into hosts and found what I was looking for. I wanted to know what directions I could take when building my own web server.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I am looking to set one up but dont know where to begin. In the meantime I dont mind buying from a host provider.

- Research for one, maybe i could help.

Quote:
I have already looked into hosts and found what I was looking for. I wanted to know what directions I could take when building my own web server.

- Lots and lots of research. Do you have the facilities? (e.g. backup systems?) Why not just order a server? Save yourself alot of time especially if it's a managed server.
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

I will be the one managing the system if I were to place it on the web. Right now I know enough to get myself into alot of trouble and that is about it. that is why I was looking in where to start the research on like what type of OS to run on it like windows or linixs. In the meantime while I am getting my site up and running I just buy one for now until I have one built.

as for the server I dont have that much funds just enough for a decent host provider.
  • Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem

Post 3+ Months Ago

For a few $s or £s you could have web hosting.

But as for Operating Systems it all depends on the type of languages you are going to use. In my experience i would always go for Linux. The main reason is because i always code in PHP and use Mysql for databses. Another reason is that i am just use to using linux servers.

It all depends on the amount of bandwidth you expect to use within a month also. As you may know you will need a good connection speed for the website, depending on the amount of hits your website gets.
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont expect that much traffic besides myself and about 100 students that teach each semester. I have a cable modem that would be used for the home site.
  • Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem

Post 3+ Months Ago

How much space will the website take? Maximum? How many visitors expected per month?
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

well space right now is not that much maybe about 10 gigs worth most of it is videos that i use during class that I put there so i can access them anywhere.

as for the vitors like i said would be student use and my personal use. It is hard to say depending on how extensive I make the students use the site. I would like to say just go to the website to get homework and then i can check to see who loged in and what pages they went to. that would be ideal and yet a few years away that I realize. right now with students the way they have been in the past I would say about 500 hits per month to start off with would be great.
  • Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, 10GB space is alot when web space is concerned.

What type of cable connection are you on?

2Mbit?
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am on a cable that is provided by road runner. AS far as the connection right now I would sucpect about a T1 connection.
  • Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem

Post 3+ Months Ago

Then you should be fine. I actually found a nice webpage long time ago about building servers. Let me see if i can find it for you.
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks alot
  • Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well im back, i couldnt find the original website.

{I wasnt searching all this time by the way}

http://www.pcmech.com/show/network/690/

I did a google search: How to build a web server
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very few ISP's and/or cable providers allow this type of traffic on their connections. You may want to confirm/deny this before you proceed in this fashion.

mtg131g wrote:
I dont expect that much traffic besides myself and about 100 students that teach each semester. I have a cable modem that would be used for the home site.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts