mail server

• rogerWabit
  • Born
  • Born
  • rogerWabit

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not sure if this is the right place to put this, however Im hosting my own forum on my own computer and i need to set up a mail server on my computer as well. This part is proving simple but yet very difficult, im not sure where my problem lies

I`ve tried using something called argosoft, and that was all great, but I could not send emails only recive them.

Im using xp, apache 2.0, argosoft mail server freeware, a rooter that you have to port forward (solwise sar s600ew) my isp is EFHbroadband, my DNS provider is telivo.

I'm a web server, hosting 2 of my own sites, the one i want to set up an email server for is http://www.ai-stockmarketforum.com

everything seems to go fine according to the argo soft logs, but i have 2 errors when checking dns report:

http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsrepor ... tforum.com

I`ve talked to my dns provide, my ISP provide, and argosoft however they all point the finger at each other, and i have no idea where the problem is?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• dogbreath
  • Born
  • Born
  • dogbreath

Post 3+ Months Ago

are u using Linux?

if so I tried doing the samething (VB forum)
I was using Clarkconnect, it has its own mail server,firewall,web server...

h**p://www.clarkconnect.com/

ClarkConnect is a powerful yet easy-to-use software solution that transforms off-the-shelf PC hardware into a dedicated Internet gateway and server. The software is a secure, reliable and cost effective solution.

Features
Our software offers a feature-rich server solution:

Internet Gateway
Firewall
VPN
Bandwidth and P2P Manager
Intrusion Prevention
Web and FTP Servers
Antispam/Antivirus
Content Filtering
File and Print Services
Data backup
  • globaltap
  • globaltap

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why would you run your web site on windows? Get with the game.. Linux! Then install qmail by following the VERY detailed instructions at http://www.qmailrocks.com.

The other solution would be to have someone host your mail for you. This would be an inexpensive solution and you would get more for your money.
  • SearlNetwork
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Iowa City, IA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well there could be two most common reason why you can send mail.

1. you need to port forward smtp port. (i am sure you have done this)

2. you need to config your dns server to forward outgoing email. (if your dns server is hosted then contacting them would be the best way to fix the problem.)
  • rogerWabit
  • Born
  • Born
  • rogerWabit

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had both port fowarded and contacted my DNS server. I think my DNS server was the problem, since i pay them so little, they really ask for no hassle in exchange, so i handed over my DNS to MY ISP and the problem was solved!

I now now longer Serve on windows (it was just a temporary solution), Linux does seem to be the better option.

Thank you for your help

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts