making an mySQL data base

• jonathaw
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: newfoundland, canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi,

i'm trying to set up a wiki powered by mediawiki and one of the ingedients required is a mySQL database. i've searched on how to make one of these but i can't find any coherent information to a person with little programming/mySQL experience. anyone wanna give me the step-by-step to help me out?

and before you ask, i would like to stick with mediawiki.

thanks,
jonathan
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Jonathan,

Is this hosted or on your own PC?

If its hosted - there's usually a MySQL DB wizard that can walk you through the process (usually 3 or 4 clicks - enter DB Name, enter DB User, assign permissions to the user, assign a PW & save)

If you're looking to install mysql in your PC - heres a good step by step guide

http://www.dreamweavermxsupport.com/ind ... e=1&pid=39
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

I also thought I would add something here..

If you're using mediawiki:

Important security updates

A security audit found and fixed a number of problems. Users of MediaWiki 1.3.10 and earlier should upgrade to 1.3.11; users of 1.4 beta releases should upgrade to 1.4rc1.

http://wikipedia.sourceforge.net/

You should probaly look into patching your install if you havent already done so...
  • jonathaw
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: newfoundland, canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

this is why i love ozzu... quality every time!

thanks CH. great info and you took the extra step of looking for the patches for me.

i'm using the "free" hosted space that i got from my isp when i signed up for a 12 month contract. they don't offer much in the way of support and i can't see anything on their website about mySQL or any wizard. i know that is the norm with most hosting places...

i looked at the link you provided to my a database on my pc. since i won't be hosting from, i was wondering if i could create it on my pc and then ftp it to my webspace. will this work?

also the linked article talks about MySQL version 3.23.53 but the lastest stable version (the one recommended when you follow this link) is 4.1.10. i don't know if this will affect the rest of the 'tutorial' but i'll try it and let you know.

thanks again,
jonathan
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Jonathan - yesh - although that tutorial is outdated re version - the install instructions still apply :)

More then likely your ISP doesnt have mysql installed on their free accounts (actually, I can almost guarantee it) - sadly - there is no real way for you to install this on that space (unless I am mistaken and they offer it)

At this point, you should either consider hosting this from home, or purchasing a hosting account...

NP on the patch info - out of habit I do this sort of search when one of our customers asks an application specific question (call me paranoid, but, I like everyone to have their scripts updated - and safe :) )

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts