Managing a website after uploding

• XOXO
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • XOXO

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all,

I have heard about a control pannel which the host provides to the customers. I would like to know about the capability of the control pannel and any (Alt +Prnt Scrn) :) of it would be a good thing to see.

Howlong does it take to upload a file? what if somebody uses dial up?

After you upload a website how you update a webpage and save it to the server?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you got a web host? If not then what is the purpose of these questions? it should become quite clear after you have got a host as to some of the questions.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

maybe you should give us the name of the host you plan to use....Actually if you posted this in the web hosting section, youd probably get a better answer.

As far as upload speed, that would have to depend on your connection. If you are talking about dial-up, I think that usually is about 36k or something.

Most hosts have built in editors you can just paste your code and save it from there
  • datums
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • datums

Post 3+ Months Ago

It seems you have some basic questions. I would recommend you visit your host;s site for specific on how to use their control panel.
Usually an ftp client is enough. The control panel is used to managed emails and view statistics.
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

The most common contorl panels are:

cPanel
Plesk
Hshere
DirectAdmin
Ensim
Webmin

You can google them for more info and/or demos from their authors. Upload updates the same way you originally uploaded the site. Overwrite files as necessary.
  • XOXO
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • XOXO

Post 3+ Months Ago

Vladdrac, thanks for your message.

I donot mind to be redirected if the webmaster would like to.

Well, I am just gathering information for now, but in terms of the host I was thinking about Yahoo small business hosting, standard plan:

http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting/?p=1

Uncensored-Hosting, I appreciate your comments and will lookup for them.

best wishes
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would stay away from Yahoo hosting and do not buy a domain thru them. Read all of their Terms of Service! Yahoo allows some nasty viruses/worms thru their network. We've been trying to get them to clean up their act for more than six months now. Here's a sample of the crap they still allow to pass thru their network:

Account Status: Hard Bouncing as of Oct 22, 2004

Last Bounced Message

Remote host said: 550 (Worm.Bagle.Gen-zippwd) [BODY]

Account Status: Hard Bouncing as of Oct 15, 2004

Last Bounced Message

Remote host said: 550 This message contains a virus or other harmful content (Worm.Nyxem.C)
[BODY]

Account Status: Hard Bouncing as of Oct 15, 2004

This is becoming a daily occurrence. Last Bounced Message

Remote host said: 550 (Worm.SomeFool.Gen-2) [BODY]
  • XOXO
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • XOXO

Post 3+ Months Ago

what about this one?

http://www.pair.com/services/web_hosting/
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

VERY overpriced IMO

check out http://www.unflux.net
Service is great, they use cPanel and I have yet to have any downtime whatsoever
  • XOXO
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • XOXO

Post 3+ Months Ago

Vladdrac wrote:
VERY overpriced IMO

check out http://www.unflux.net
Service is great, they use cPanel and I have yet to have any downtime whatsoever

Looks good one, I coudn't find anything about the domain registration fee if it is included or not and daily site backups but anyways when the time comes I will ask them.

Thanks for the link.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes you will have to register a domain yourself. Godaddy offers them for like $8 a year i think.
  • XOXO
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • XOXO

Post 3+ Months Ago

Vladdrac, thanks alot that looks good one anyways I will think about it when the time comes.

thanks for your messages.
take care
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

XOXO, check your private messages.
  • jnacool
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

The link you provided is very over priced for the content you actaully recieve. Also looking at the packages you may be over buying on what you actually need. Don't be afraid to start small, all good hosts will allow you to upgrade their packages without much problem.

If you need any help or advice setting up your site once you get up and running let me know I would be happy to help out a bit. Out of interest what kind of site are you looking to host?

Jack
  • yuriythebest
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Ukraine

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you do not have too much experiene and want to get the "feel" of what managing a website can be try the free hosts at clickherefree.com, I personally found it very useful for finding good hosts. To upload to any site using ftp you will need an ftp program, one of the best is smartFTP, the reasons for it being the best is that it's simple in its settings and easy to crack. I also have dial up and uploading sites isn't too difficult, but then again you won't be able to upload realy large file libraries like movies, mp3 or warez in their hunderds, but if you simply want a nice site with a flash animation or two dial up should be quite alright, considering that you are connected to a good dial up isp and the phone lines in your area are not from before ww2. Hope that helped.
  • XOXO
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • XOXO

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for everybody. Sorry that I was very busy and couldn't reply tp your messages.

I am just doing a research in the web site design, webhosting and soforth and I do not need any host for now. Maybe in the future but not now.

thanks again for taking your time to reply.

take care
  • Fitness4Living
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Belfast, Ireland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use IX webhosting and they give you a simple yet detailed control panel and webaliser statistics. Their prices arent too bad either. Link in sig.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts