MySite.com & Host server are different...HOW?

• wateraccess
  • Born
  • Born
  • wateraccess

Post 3+ Months Ago

ive gotten someone to give me unlimited server space for free, And am purchasing a domain name... where do i put the index file?... or how do i direct the site to the files?
---im pretty new, and have only experience on a free server, which has the file manager and everything, so i dont quite understand where everything goes.

thnx for any help.

site=andytrench.8m.com
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Uh... huh?

OK, so you are buying a domain name, and presumably you will have someone own resolution for that to a particular IP that your host owns, which you shall be using.
From that point on, it's all a matter of the webserver config -- which I am guessing will resemble some virtual host setup. (Either by IP or name).

Is this person expecting you to configure this? That does not sound like a good plan to me... mainly since at present you are a tad bit clue-free, and a mis-config could wreck whatever is already being serviced from that host.

I would suggest you speak again with your host, as I am reasonably certain they have already set up the configs, and can easily tell you where to drop your files as part of your document root.

Cheers.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts