Name serving / hi all

• Willy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Willy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello all,

I'm new here. And ironicly quite novice w/ webhosting and the process around them. Regardless, i plan to put some time in, learn the ropes and eventually have some sort of felt web presence. I recently installed redhat 8 on an old beat up computer i had lying around hte house, i figured it would be a nice way to get my feet wet. On this box i'm planning to nameserve and host some basic sites.

my question is, is there any way to tell if my nameserver deamon ( BInd 9 ) is working propperly, I see that it is running, but i'm not sure if its doing its job {i'm in the gray area of having registered the box as a nameserver along with pointing a domiain or two to it}

graci

~Justin
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you have sites in your nameserver you can type a command from telnet, ssh, or your command console to see if it outputs the right results

dig @yournamserver http://www.somesite.com

Replace @yournameserver with something like

@ns1.ozzu.com

or an ip address might work too. This will allow you to query your name server to see if its working. Welcome to Ozzu as well!
  • Willy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Willy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cool, i tried pinging my domain.

Problem lies that when i created the domain files the last octet of my ip was .33, but the ip has since swithced since i registered the DNS... Bottom line, when i run a ping from the host box, it is going to the old .33 address. I have updated all the instances in each dns file, but the changes dont seem to be taking effect. i made sure to update the version numbers and what not and re-started named. Should some propigation time be expected for this?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

When you do the dig command on your name server for any of your changed domains, is it showing the new IP address or the old? Also just so you know the change does have to propagate, its not immediate -- but you can do the dig command to at least make sure you dns is showing right. If its not right then you need to obviously fix something. Also you should increment the serial number if you haven't already in the SOA record. (I am not sure if you are manually editing your dns files, or using an interface that does all this automatically).
  • Willy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Willy

Post 3+ Months Ago

now i'm confused...

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.brahh.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
http://www.brahh.com. 538499 IN A 68.48.165.33

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
brahh.com. 105103 IN NS ns1.brahh.com.
brahh.com. 105103 IN NS ns2.brahh.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ns1.brahh.com. 105103 IN A 68.48.165.230
ns2.brahh.com. 105103 IN A 68.48.165.230

it seems to be aware of both ips (230) is hte appropriate one, but its not getting to it. Also, i updated the dates in the DNS files, i'm not sure i know of that last place you refered to..
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

According to your dig results:

;; ANSWER SECTION:
http://www.brahh.com. 538499 IN A 68.48.165.33

your site resolves to 68.48.165.33

If that is not correct you have not changed your dns for that site. You need to change the A record.
  • Willy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Willy

Post 3+ Months Ago

i updated my /usr/local/db.brahh file ,
and my /etc/named.conf file

i'm not sure exactly what you mean by the A file, from what i've read around i thought just these twho files needed to be updated. There are no instances of the old ip ( .33) anywhere on my box as far as i can tell...

thx
J
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am talking about the A record in the file. Please paste the contents of:

db.brahh

to this board. You need to make sure you adjust the A record in that file to point to the new IP and then increase the serial number for that file. After that you need to restart the name server.
  • Willy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Willy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good news, i am now a DNS expert! :P

well maby not. Now my only problem is this mysql hangup, Every google search i come to ends with someone talking about a totally different way to go about it.

~j~
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

So did you resolve the problem by fixing the a-record? Also if you have a MySQL problem feel free to make a new post on it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts