Need help calculating traffic with new server

• Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

i am getting kicked off my server from excess traffic now i am using around 350Gb/400Gb a month in traffic and finished last month at 580,000 visits/18k a day with a average of 3 minutes per visitor. Now i have been suggested that NDCHost would be a great place to move to, they have dual core's with 1024mb ram 40gig hard disk and 900tb bandwidth.

now my last server was a shared server that was a quad core with 4 gig of ram but that was with other sites on the server so i am just trying to calculate if i am going to need a bigger server or not. i just don't have any data to calculate to go off.

So ya any data would be appreciated before i buy the VPS.

cheers

Zealous
  • WritingBadCode
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

Zealous wrote:
i am getting kicked off my server from excess traffic now i am using around 350Gb/400Gb a month in traffic and finished last month at 580,000 visits/18k a day with a average of 3 minutes per visitor.

I can't help about hosting, but I must say I envy you. :D Good job getting all the traffic!

Maybe a silly suggestion but why don't ask the hosting company? They should have a clue about what you should get (if you can give them some statistic)...
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I were you and with that sort of traffic I would consider getting a small dedicated server for that website, especially if your website generates the revenue to offset the costs. If you are getting shared hosting plans I could see many hosts eventually kicking you off their shared server and requiring you to upgrade to something better due to the fact that you could adversely affect everyone else on the same shared server, and second they probably are only losing money on you for what you are paying for that shared hosting plan (my guess).
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

i ordered the server last week and did the DNS change over a few days ago and i have hired a system administrator to set up the server at a nice 18 bucks a hour but he does a good job tho.

I was on a shared server but after the traffic drop recently i could of kept it going a little longer but i was going 5x as much as root so it was time for a move eventually. Sitting over at NDChost in CA, most of my traffic is US and from the reports i have had response time is good which i am not suprised at but good to hear from the local server users. Even from Australia i get a 180 ping in sydney.

the server was not loosing money but it was mostly the server load that did the trick, i saw it up to 12.0 one day and after that i was locked out and could not use it for hours till it was reset. But after investigation there was a spammer on the server.

WHM says it is a quad core with 2 gig of ram so it is a start, i have a lot of plans for the site that should increase serverload like clipbucket and putting a spam attracting forum back up.

I should be fine for a while now, it will give me some room to move having root now.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts