Need Help In creating a forum

• tomleo
  • Born
  • Born
  • tomleo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi guys

Im totally new on this forum thing...so please pardon me if i say something wrong

Im trying to create a forum for my company in a webpage i design to be in the intranet.The problem is i have no idea how to create one.Did some research.download a free forum phpbb and extract the files..END!!I don't even know what i am doing..

questions that needed answer badly

1)How to install this forum to my website?
2)I keep on read about hosting forum?U mean u can't put it in yr website?if it truth?how do u host it in the intranet?
3)i read about u guys needing 20mb of space for hosting forum.wat is it?
3)Must the host be online 24hours to let a forum run 24 hr without any problem?
4)if my above questions are too stupid,can u all please explain to me how to go about having a forum in your website from step 1?im totally new on this forum thing and my boss who is totally newbie on internet stuffs expect me to make a forum in my company website in a intranet..

thanks and cheers
looking forwards to answers
tomleo
  • phpservers
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • phpservers

Post 3+ Months Ago

webhosts that provide cPanel may have pre-installed versions of phpBB or Invision Board so you will not have to spend time installing some scripts yourself.

phpBB and IPB are preinstalled at phpservers

////////////////

you may have a readme file that talks you through the process

2)I keep on read about hosting forum?U mean u can't put it in yr website?if it truth?how do u host it in the intranet?
you need a webhost so people can access the forum 24/7

you buy this space from a webhost, along with bandwidth and other features

Servers are simply computers held somewhere else, yes they need to be online 24/7 to be online 24/7... the more uptime the better View phpservers uptime stats

4)if my above questions are too stupid,can u all please explain to me how to go about having a forum in your website from step 1?im totally new on this forum thing and my boss who is totally newbie on internet stuffs expect me to make a forum in my company website in a intranet..
a) Get a webhost
b) Either install a forum manually or via. your webhost
c) setup your forum (admin tasks like creating sub-forums, and categories etc.)
  • harryhood
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • harryhood

Post 3+ Months Ago

You might also want to look for a web host who offers fantastico or cpskins autoinstaller, as these features will install certain forum software for you. After the installation you would need to set-up your categories and individual forums from there.
  • chimiwaza
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • chimiwaza

Post 3+ Months Ago

it is easier if you get a webhost .. go to control panel > fantastico or scripts library, just click INSTALL phpbb OR ibp ... whala ... there u got ur forum , then the next problem is skinning ... :(
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

What Server OS are you using on your company website tomleo? The answer to that may provide you with better answers than ongoing spam like the phpservers reply in this post.

And to phpservers....if you want to waste the time to PM me about why I called you out in public...skip it. Your help is appreciated, but your spam is not. And don't even try to talk your way around it with me. I'm surprised we've let you stay a member as long as we have. Strike that -- I'm surprised I've let you stay a member as long as I have. If you have a problem with this, contact Bigwebmaster. I doubt that he will show any simpathy.

Otherwise, if you want to be a part of these forums, then change your modus operandi.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not to mention, the original poster said it would be on his INTRANET -- not Internet accessible.

To the original poster, Tomleo... son, you have some serious homework to do first.

Here's your list of questions:
Tomleo wrote:

questions that needed answer badly

Before I even make an attempt, I have several of my own.
1. Are you the system admin for your company?
a. If not, why don't you get with them, to perhaps find a rational solution to this problem that they would be comfortable with? There are as many different types of dynamic BB's out there as there are people; get something perhaps one of them is already familiar with, or at least a type of technology they are comfortable with.
b. If so, oh my. First, do you understand what php is? or cgi's? Or Java?

2. Do you (your company) own and operate an Intranet server at present? If not, was it your intention to go looking for one of those? If so, what is it? Knowing what type of technology we're dealing with helps us answer questions more efficiently.

Onward to your queries. (I will make the assumption that you are running some flavor of *nix in your environment. The request for free aid, along with the desire to piecemeal something together for your boss, suggests a low-cost option).

1. First you must have Apache, (IHS, if you got it from IBM) installed with php. (Yes you can run Zeus, or any other *nix-based webserver, but we're going for generalities here). If you have neither of these, press 'Stop' on the tape and go get them immediately. :) If you don't know what those are, uh... no, that's not possible. :)
I am sure others can explain to you the intricacies of installing this bb system, though I am equally sure there is adequate installation documentation (in the form of a INSTALL.txt or README.txt file included with the distribution).

2. The code which generates what you see before you does, in-fact, run on webservers. In some cases it may even utilize database servers or any other application engine you can imagine -- they all, however, may be running on the same machine... depending upon your load.

3. I imagine an active BB (NOTE: I said BB not BB system. The BB system is simply the underlying architecture, the BB can be busy or barely utilized depending upon how much traffic you receive) might require a substantial amount of disk space. understand that not only is every message saved for god knows how long, but there is some overhead involved with maintaining a relational database. 20GB sounds fairly small to me, but my perspective might be skewed, since I usually only handle extreme projects.

3, again. I am not sure I get this one. By 'host', do you mean the web host which will run the BB? The answer to that is, a resounding "yes". Your server architecture runs 24/7 -- one would hope -- and this should include your Intranet machine.

4. Uh. No. :) It's not that I wouldn't like to help you, but until I know where you are, I feel like I am shooting arrows at a tank.
I am sure if you can answer some of those above, there are people on here who would be willing to give you some pointers. I have to say that, one of the great discoveries involves doing it yourself, even if it is alien to you; especially if it is alien to you. We learn by doing, and while you might make some mistakes along the way, and need some coaching, your reward will be much greater than if you had someone provide you step-by-step guidelines. IMHO, of course.

Cheers.
  • whatlikesit12345
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

i can also set up a invision power board but im not going to post my link because that would be offering my service.
  • TehKevin
  • TehKevin

Post 3+ Months Ago

IPB is the best forum software to use. It gives your site a more professionial look than vBulletin or phpBB.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts