I need help setting up the Host

• Netmaster
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Saint Joseph, MO

Post 3+ Months Ago

I need help setting up my Apache server. I have a 1.3.20 server with PHP and SQL but I cant get it to recognize the host... Im not sure on how to set that up.. If you can help me with this please e-mail me at young_slacker@yahoo.com.. Thanks for your time and I hope you enjoy the rest of your day
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is the domain/host you want recognized pointed to your server already with DNS? I am not sure exactly what you mean when you say you cannot get it to recognize the host. Maybe explain a bit more on what your problem is, and give an example. Examples help :)
  • Netmaster
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I cant get the DNS to recognize the host.. that is what I am having problems with.. I have it installed and have somewhat of a httpd file but when I go to the site it says

Bad Gateway
The following error occurred:
A DNS lookup error occurred. The host was not found.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please contact the administrator.

I dont understand why that is still happening please respond.. thank you...
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay the very very first thing you do is register a domain name. I am assuming you have done this step. The second thing you need to do is determine if you are going to run your own dns, or if you are going to have your host/isp run your DNS for you. If you choose the latter and have you host run the dns for you, you simply need to ask them what their name servers are, and then goto the registrar you got the domain name from, and enter the name servers in there. Also you then need to tell your host/isp what domain name you would like pointed to your box, as they will have to set it internally.

So before I go on, let me know if you plan on having your host/isp do your DNS, or if you plan to do your DNS yourself.
  • Netmaster
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

When you regester a domain.. what do you do.. do u just go to a site that hosts sites and sign-up there. Im not sure If I did that correctly.. Just tell me a good provider to use and I will sign up there. I want to try to get a good deal.. Reply back... Thank you :)
  • Netmaster
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just forget about it.. Ill just try a few other things.. But thanks for trying to help... I need to set some stuff up first but then I might be back needing help... lol... well... anyways.. thanks for your help..
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

When you decide to get a domain, if you haven't got one yet, I recommend getting it at

http://www.godaddy.com/

You can get domains very cheap there ($8.95 for .com's I believe). Another option is to go through someone who hosts sites, like myself, and they will set everything up for you if you need, depending on who you go with and the services they offer.
  • Netmaster
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

You said that you can host sites. How much do you charge and what do I get.. How much space, bandwidth, CGI, ect.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can provide you with about 500 Mb of space or more, 400 Gb of bandwidth, full CGI support, including PHP, MySQL, etc for $100.00 USD a month.
  • Netmaster
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

when you regester a domain on like godaddy.com like what you suggested do u have to get a plan or can you regester a domain and then use the apache server.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

No you can just get the domain for $8.95 and then use any host you want, like myself, or someone else. Godaddy's primary thing is to simply register a domain so you own it, and can point it to wherever you want. While you signup for that domain they will try to get you to host with them, or get other things from them. You do not need to get any of that though, unless you want to host with them.
  • Netmaster
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

so I can setup a site and then host it from my own server with however much space I want ect.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, but I do not recommend hosting from your own house unless you are just doing it to play around and learn things.
  • Netmaster
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh... ok ill just use a colocation facility

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts