Need Help

• khurramraja
  • khurramraja
  • Loc: Toronto

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

My name is Khurram and i've recently completed my business website. The nature of my business is Web designing/development. Currently i am being hosted at bluehost.com (my single business website). Whenever i get clients i recommend them to other companies since i dont host myself. However, recently i've been googling around alot on reseller plans that different companies offer such as hostgater, godaddy etc etc. I am interested in something that gives me good amounts of traffic and space as well as root access. My budget is approximately $300 to $400/annually.

i did come across some very good plans but some of them give good space but not bandwidth and vice versa. I believe from reading previous forums to get to dedicated servers i should take the easier path wich is to go through the reseller packages and then grow slowly as my client list gets bigger. Now just one silly question which m not sure bout. when companies offer 500 gig of traffic what does that exactly mean in english. I mean how many people can visit mysite or does it also depend on the content being download (i.e. pictures, graphics, multimedia etc). Do these things impact or is it only the amount of people visiting the site? Sorry, m not really sure about that. Also, some companies offer 1 IP with unlimited hosting yet others offer for instance 5 IP's with unlimited hosting or domains. Whats the primary difference i mean either way its unlimited hosting i can do. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
  • HBUG - Staff
  • HBUG - Staff
  • Loc: UK - Portugal

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

For instances with 50GB bandwith you can host more than 50 hosting accounts, but all depend on the sites you host, some sites can use much more resources than others, but minimum of 50 sites is a guarantee unless you get a client that asks for lots of resources but usually that won´t happen.

Regards,
  • Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: 404

Post 3+ Months Ago

Reselling very rarely works, it may bring your business down. I have been hosted on 3 which all failed, 1 of which seemed extremely stable and indeed was untill suddenly.
  • tonnrak
  • tonnrak

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should have a look at My Top 5 Web Hostings at:

http://www.s-qs.net/My%20Top%205%20Web%20Hostings.htm

It compare top 5 web hostings (in my opinnion). They are all have criterias that you mentioned above.
  • cd-mchase
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Jonesboro, AR

Post 3+ Months Ago

The bandwidth or "traffic" limits are actually really simple. Say you've got 50 gigs of bandwidth from your host and you have a website that has 1 gig of files on it (These numbers are just for explanation purposes, chances are this won't happen). All of the files on this website can be downloaded/viewed 50 times.

1 GB of files x visited 50 times = 50 GB = Your bandwidth limit.

As for the unlimited hosting/IP address stuff: If it says that you can host unlimited websites with 1 IP address, then you can do so but they will all be resolving to 1 specific IP. The BIGGEST advantage to having multiple IP addresses would be if you wanted to give each website it's own SSL certificate.

I hope I cleared these things up a bit for you, if not let me know and I'll try to simplify it a little bit more.
  • Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Interesting. Also, how do i set up ssl? (by the way i got hosting now) i know the servers have a certificate but how do i actually use it on the site
  • cd-mchase
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Jonesboro, AR

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well first you'll need to purchase a cert. To do this you'll need your domain name as well as the IP address that your domain is resolving to. The IP will also need to reverse resolve to your domain. The company you purchase the certificate from will give you a .key and a .crt file.

You'll probably need your host to import it for you as most companies don't allow consumers to do it on their own. Once that's done you can just point people in the direction of https://yourdomain.com/whateveryouwanttobesecured.html
  • Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

alright. i suppose if i ever need it i know know a bit more about it, we have gone a bit off topic here.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts