Need information on setting up Email for hosting.

• bluedragon
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • bluedragon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Didn't know where to put this topic but I am wondering what is the best free e-mail client to download for my webserver? Just wanting to know cause with hosting I am going to be offering e-mail.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

bluedragon -- I hope you won't get offended by this, but I'm going to take this as an opportunity to explain some things so that others may benefit here. SO please understand there is NOTHING in the remainder of this reply that is directed at you, but you gave the perfect opportunity to try to help clear things up for others.

First, please provide Informative subject lines. This is noted in our posting rules in the announcements board. This helps members and guests quickly identify the content of the post. In addition it helps the search engines. It should be noted that a post was made at OZZU regarding the sasser virus and was listed in Google within 2-3 days of the post and allowed 19,000 unique visitors in addition to our most ever number of members and guests online for that day. The original subject was Help. It is now, Need information on setting up Email for hosting.

In regards to where to put a subject, consider what it is you need and are asking. In most cases the content will define the proper board. For example in this case, it's obvious there is a webserver and hosting will be made available and an email solution is needed. That tells me hosting would be my choice , which is where you will now find this post. When in doubt post it in the most appropriate place you can think of. The mods here are adept at getting the subjects in the right place and will move it if necessary at no extra charge *lol. It should also be noted this is why we discourage multiple posting. Posting a subject in multiple boards because you are uncertain where it will go is non-productive, it just confuses members and guests and it gets confusing reading multiple crossposts.

Third, when you ask a question, attempt to provide the most specific detail possible in order to get a better and quicker solution to your problem. In this case, much more information is needed. The primary piece of information is details about the webserver itself and what operating system is being used. This will dictate what may be availble and supported in terms of an email client.

*steps off soapbox.

Again, bluedragon, we're glad to have you here as a regular member at OZZU. I thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist other members and new folks who will become members to get better results from their posts.
  • bluedragon
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • bluedragon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah sorry but I have never done this before and was looking for help so I'll just go to another forum that I use to go to and ask this.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess you didn't understand, that I posted my reply, because you're like only the 1000th person to make a post like this. Well, you will get help here, or at least you might have...but if you do go to your other board, please consider that to get a good answer you HAVE to provide the best information about your problem possible.

Even if you do provide specific detail sometimes it takes awhile to get answers. I speant 4 months trying to get an answer to one of my problems, and nobody here provided it, even though I asked and rehashed possible solutions multiple times.

In the end I discovered a workaround on my own vs. a solution, but it was the folks at OZZU that helped me get there.

That is why I made my reply as I did...not to tick you off . You did read my first paragraph didn't you?
  • bluedragon
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • bluedragon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well all I wanted was someone to say a name of an e-mail cliet or pm me about a diff post that has this same thing.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well...they can't until you tell us what kind of Webserver you are running. You may have stated so elsewhere, but anyone seeking to help you is not going to know whether you did or didn't? Don't worry, bluedragon....I respect your time with us and your problem...but this is also a problem that prevents many people from getting good solutions. I was trying to help you, primarily....get a good answer as well as others who will read this get good answers to their problems....

I do believe if you take a moment and add a few more specifics about what you are using and what you want to accomplish, you will get GOOD answers right here where we are discussing this. This is my point. In no way to embarrass you, although it appears that I have, and if so I'm sorry. My replies are entirely here at this point to educate. This is similar instruction to what I have received in the past by mods that have been around much longer than I have in other places unknown to OZZU
  • bluedragon
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • bluedragon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok here is what I have:

Fireserv as webserver along with apache installed running php, cgi/perl, and basic html.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

*wink -- now there you go ... now we can watch the help roll in. *lol -- I do wish you the best of luck and will review your specs myself, although this is completely not my forte. If I find a way I can personally help though...I will.

In the meantime, best of luck.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

bluedragon wrote:
Didn't know where to put this topic but I am wondering what is the best free e-mail client to download for my webserver? Just wanting to know cause with hosting I am going to be offering e-mail.

I use NeoMail and haven't had any problems with it.
http://www.neocodesolutions.com/software/neomail/
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh yeah and I've also used Horde http://www.horde.org/ which isnt too bad either.
  • Liquescence
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Queens, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im gonna back musik up there. Both neomail and horde are great, although I'm more partial to Horde. Another one is SquirrelMail.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yup, I'm more inclined to use Horde too... I really don't like Neo Mail, heh.

Squirrel Mail is also very good (probably the simplest, and pretty neat... easily skinnable, etc.)
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes Horde is pretty easy too. Ive also used SquirrelMail and its good as well.

There are any number of email clients you can use it just depends on what features you want.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, you could try also hitting Google and searching for "PHP Mail Client" (without the quotes).
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont know about hosting it, but when I used horde to check my mail one of my many sites I found that there was no sent box. I'm hoping it supports it and that the site restricted it. Whats email without knowing what I sent?
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

sounds like it was buggy Truce.
  • jnacool
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Horde is one of the best I have used mself, It came preinstalled on my hosting package and I haven't really looked back since, Im quite happy with the way it works and has all the features i need
  • virtualwebc
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

bluedragon wrote:

Blue Dragon,

I own a web design / hosting company in the United States

I offer my clients three choices for web mail: Horde,squirrel Mail, and Neo Mail. It has been my observation that honestly at least 70% of my clients that we interact with on a near daily basis that do use web based email choose Neo Mail over the other two.
I my self when I use the web mail for some reason prefer Neo Mail also.
This may be worth looking into. Hope I have been of some help to you. If you need an answer to something in that field of work just let me know I will try to help you with an answer or at least expeieance,observation or opinion.
  • bluedragon
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • bluedragon

Post 3+ Months Ago

That does help and I checked your hosting out and just my opinion, how can you charge $39 for 400mb bandwidth and 200mb server space? I am gonna only charge $20.00 a month for 500mb and 1bg of bandwidth but it does depend on your server specs. Countdown until I host is now 64 days.
  • virtualwebc
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

bluedragon wrote:
That does help and I checked your hosting out and just my opinion, how can you charge $39 for 400mb bandwidth and 200mb server space? I am gonna only charge $20.00 a month for 500mb and 1bg of bandwidth but it does depend on your server specs. Countdown until I host is now 64 days.

Because I do Web Design as a primary business through four states One of our main sources of income are medium and corporate business web design and hosting needs. When you see those prices there please don't be alarmed they are on the site be cause that is what these people want and are looking for. We hos allot of our bigger clients web sites and networks on what I call the shared dedicated server.
Clients lease these services from us and use these different servers as not only to host there web site and email but also to share files virtually on a virtual based network. For example Investors Capital Corp. (one of my major clients) has over 35 satellite offices across the US so they use the server and web site to interact as a file sharing network for just there offices. They also use it to back up there data from the main office off of there inter office network on a daily basis. Then there are other companies instead of loading 60 average web sites on to a server they can break it up into say 5 companies that have there individual files on there parts off the server this allows them to cut cost from maintaining them there selves or paying us or any one else for that matter the full price for a lease or contract for a dedicated sever when they really do not need that much space.

Don't want to be misleading on prices that is why I am currently adding to the web site to break up pricing for each actual class of hosting. For my usual regular web hosting I can do most plans any where between average of $19.99 - $49.99 one payment PER YEAR not monthly. With those low low prices we are still able to make about four times the cost of each server back .We do not sell re seller packages nor do we fill our servers up when they get to 50 % we do not load any more accounts to it. We have excellent response time to problems, a terrific staff, and because we do pick and choose our clientele to an extant we rarely have any major problems. Last actual sever crash was about this time last year and it was more a hardware issue we think than any thing and that was i out of about 40 or 45 servers then we have expanded between the two actual server facilities that we have over a hundred now and most problems are maintained ny a simple reboot. And believe it or not we still serve Over 65% of our customers from day one when we first started the hosting part of the business 4 years ago. We have proven if you manage your space and maintain your servers as a routine and not waiting for them to fail before showing them needed attention like some places do. You actually cut cost on repairs you can then offer your clients outrageously low deals with excellent customer satisfaction and service and still make four times your actulal cost as profit every one wins and every ones happy. I give a lot of that having to do with an excellent technical staff. It costs a chunk of money up front to get those profits to role in but hard work and be honest with your customers and treat them fair I can't stress this enough, and don't get greedy. It can be done we started this company with $2,500 between three frat brothers almost six years ago doing PC repair to make bill money to be able to afford to even do web design. Almost six years later we do corporate an mainly business related web sites, Offer professional Web Hosting and File security back up for decent size corporations, We have corporate contracts for networking and hosting with companies Like ICC, FBA, even a hand full of Mariot hotels and resorts. We are authorized Dell resellers. and we do Consulting. Started with One office that we all shared and now we have offices in four states and looking at possibly sating up shop in FL also. So why I have gotten away from the point of your question I don't know but take it from me if you want to get int this business to stay and make a good living at it treat you customers right and don't get greedy.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts