need some basic hosting advice

• new_filmaker_1980
  • Born
  • Born
  • new_filmaker_1980

Post 3+ Months Ago

as you may of guessed from my name i am a low budget filmmaker, i've recently lost my job and decided that was a sign to start concentrating on my career.

The reason I am here is this; I want to create a website to showcase my documentaries and fiction films but i also want to make money from it via affiliates and such.

the site will also include reviews of films, music and video games.

I really after some advice on building it.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Blackwood
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Blackwood

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do not be tempted to go with free hosting. Trust me, i am a doctor. :)
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Honestly, if money is tight and your skilset is even tighter you may want to consider something like Weebly. (http://www.weebly.com/)

You get a domain name from GoDaddy... and the site is free with no advertising. They have automated templates which you can also customize once you become more familiar. The only thing is Weebly does not offer email, so you will either have to use a web based email like Gmail or alternatively you can purchase that for like $2 a month from GoDaddy.

Now before the hate mail comes in, let me state that I am not one for free hosting. You are limited in the extreme with that sort of thing; both in transfer rates, and there's no guarantee for availability either. Not exactly conducive to business... however I also know what is is like to be in business.

It's like herding cats; you are being dragged in 90 different directions at once and have little or not time to concentrate on any one of them. Making one task easier, any task, is a God-send. So in this case you slap up a decent enough website which costs you nothing (something else which is vital for a new business owner who also has no income)and you live with the limitations while you work on the rest of your business.

A year down the road when it looks viable, you hire yourself a designer and get real hosting and then announce v2.0 to your consumer base.

Good luck.
  • Underneath
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do not keep all eggs in the same basket. That is not recommended.
I agree regarding godaddy. You can get your web hosting there and then you will be able to get web hosting solution from them. I do not recommend.
Try to find separate web hosting company. Read more reviews. From my hand I can offer you neowebspace. com They are pretty good and quite cheap for nowadays.

But do not keep all eggs in the same basket
  • ibragimm
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

If the money is the main option for you I think you need to work on the some basic and budget solutions then.
I think that you need something cheap.
I have been using pinellashosting for some time. They are cheap ($5) and I have to say I have no single problem with them.
I started with coupon code 15OFFLIFE (that gave me 15% discount) - not sure if that is working now

In any case due to the low price that will be difficult to get right web hosting solution.
Hope that helps
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

luckygal wrote:
Web hosting is a good online business today. It is a great source of income. As for promoting, wait until your site has been re-done. Most search engines don't like you to submit your site for minor changes and most recommend only re-submitting after any major changes.

What are you talking about? The original poster was not looking to get into the hosting business, nor was that person considering submitting SEO information on a subsequent build; they currently have no site.

If you are just trying to get your post-count up, this is no way to do it.
  • Chaze
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: WebHost.pro

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds really cool, I would do it with a wordpress blog then add a video plug-in to it. That way you can manage and and add new content easily.

If you have questions let me know, I do web design and can help.
  • skater1
  • Born
  • Born
  • skater1

Post 3+ Months Ago

I do not recommend free hosting at all. Why use free hosting when you can pay $1/month for premium hosting. You will only need a couple of adsense clicks per month to make that back.

I highly recommend Sequence Hosting (Google them) I use them for my skateboarding site and I’m on their $1/month hosting plan. They have 100% uptime and include 4,500 free website templates. Not to mention they set up my website for me.
  • dordor

Post 3+ Months Ago

daddy is the best and they offer full support 24/7 on phone, that's priceless...
  • normi
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: cabadbaran

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi i've setup a webserver and where i can get a free domain?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts