Need the FTP id of previous host. what to do?

• jazzd1
  • Born
  • Born
  • jazzd1

Post 3+ Months Ago

My old webmaster was hosting my site until she decided to close her web business down..My site was up on her server for free for over a year until about two/ three weeks ago..I set up another host account BUT they (new host) told me i needed the ftp ip, username and pw to transfer the site.. I have the user and the pw BUT i have no idea how to get the ftp ip.. So my site is now offline..My old webmaster have been UNREACHABLE for close to a year.. I wanted to move my site when she closed her business just because of this reason but after tried reaching her several times back then, no response..Wrote her again a few days ago but again, no response.. OK, What should i do to get the ftp id of my previous host? What should my next step be? Thanks..jazzd1
  • joebert
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hope you have a backup somewhere else.

First, check any FTP applications you have to make sure you don't already have the IP saved in a bookmark or somthing.

If your new host has already altered the DNS entries (eg typing the address in a browser takes you to the new sites location) you'll need to use somthing like to determine the previous IP address.

If they haven't, you should be able to get the IP from a normal WHOIS lookup using the domain name (eg as input.

In either case, there really is a slim chance that your account & files still exist at the old location after 2-3 weeks.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts