Newbee and need direction guidance please

• esuewb
  • Born
  • Born
  • esuewb

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi ATNO/NU

I discovered this site and hope that I'm at the right place (and thread). If not I apologize. I have a problem and need help ! What direction should I go ? This seemed like the site to get those answers.
and will appreciate any help I receive

Problem: I have taken on the responsibility of getting a forum type website going for my class specific alumns of the school I went to way many years ago. We had reunited and connected around an upcoming 45th reunion and the email exchange has gotten out of hand ; hence the progression to a website forum format allowing for categories and thread seemed to be the logical solution. I had a friend volunteer to do this (sweet man!) but now he can't. So I am stuck ! no website and everyone now eagerly awaiting its activation ! I need to find a solution VERY FAST that will not cost a fortune. absolutely no experience with this.

What I'm heading for is something set up like:

http://smithrep.master.com/texis/master ... board.html

it is clean and easy to navigate.

I have the name but not registered as yet.

the category buttons would be:

EWS News & Links
Reunion
Lounge
Classmates
Transitions
Creative corner
Current Events & Opinion

Ideally I realize that I should have someone do this for me and am willing to do so if it doesn't cost a fortune. I have looked at several web hosting outfits, but again, I don't really know enough about it to even be able to decipher which would be applicable.

I'm sorry if I sound really ignorant , but I guess I am !

HELP

thanks

Sue

:cry:
  • surgematrix
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sue, I can understand your concern. You have different ways you can go about it. You can just signup for a web hosting service that provides Fantastico. Fantastico is a service provided by webhosting companies which will automatically install some well known scripts. The script you will need is forum script. Some hosting companies will even help you install the script for free. This is the cheapest way to go.

You can also buy a forum script (there are many of them go to http://php.resourceindex.com)
You will then have someone install it for you for a reasonable fee. You will need to get a web host to host the script.

There are also free forum scripts out there.

You can also use a free webportal with forum, news, gallery and more.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more help.
  • esuewb
  • Born
  • Born
  • esuewb

Post 3+ Months Ago

surgemax,

thanks for your quick reply. I am going to contact you at the surgematrix.com site

Sue
  • dread lord
  • Born
  • Born
  • dread lord

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would write to several companies and test their customer support
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree a Fantastico enabled host would be a cost effective solution. Especially if they offer good support. Additionally I suggest you register the name you have in mind without further delay. Do not assume it will be there waiting on you indefinitely.
  • darkzelkova
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you want free hosting - go with 110mb.com, if you want payed, then there are MANY different options open to you.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts