Newbie Question

• kaos131
  • Born
  • Born
  • kaos131

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello All,

I am a very novice web designer (built only 5 basic sites).

I am currently looking for a web hosting company and I believe I found one that fits my budget.

The only wrinkle is that they use a Linux operatiing System.

Since all the design apps and tools I use are Windows based, am I able to use their service?

I asked them this and they said that is should not affect my website unless I am using Windows only components.

What does he mean by that?

Any light you can shed on my issue would be greatly appreciated.

I thank you in advance.

Kaos
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Since all the design apps and tools I use are Windows based, am I able to use their service?

Hi Kaos,

Can you elaborate on this?

Are you talking desktop publishing/graphics (like photoshop) types of tools? Or, are you talking about Microsoft development platforms like .NET?
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

You'll need to provide us with more information like Cartika stated.

Exactly what software did you use to create your website?
  • kaos131
  • Born
  • Born
  • kaos131

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you both for your replies:

I currently use Macromedia and Adobe Suite of Tools for the PC:

Dreaweaver
Photoshop
Illustrator
some Flash

I want to progrees into development as I teach myself.

Do you think this poses a problem to use this host?

Thanks again
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

kaos131 wrote:
Thank you both for your replies:

I currently use Macromedia and Adobe Suite of Tools for the PC:

Dreaweaver
Photoshop
Illustrator
some Flash

I want to progrees into development as I teach myself.

Do you think this poses a problem to use this host?

Thanks again

Whilst I am sure Cartika will go into a much more lengthy and informative dissertation, I will provide the quick and dirty synopsis; you are fine.
Those products you mentioned create objects which are (can be) universally accepted; Photoshop and Illustrator output JPG, GIF and PNG files, Flash...er, well flash files, etc.
You place those completed files onto the webserver in question and it does not matter -- with specific regard to those software packages mentioned -- what the server runs, they are all parsed and decoded by the client in the browser.
  • kaos131
  • Born
  • Born
  • kaos131

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Daemonguy,

While I do look forward to the more detailed information the others may provide, I want to thank you for your answer as well.

I have another question:

The web-host sales team inferred about "Window-only" components when answering my question.

?-Are there Linux-only components that I should know about or is that more on the development side

?- Are there design components that are Windows based that I should learn as well

They also indicated that this is a virtual server and not shared as I had assumed. I hope that doesnt pose a problem.

Thank you all again.

Kaos
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can only imagine they were referring to .asp (Active Server Pages) -- which is a MS application server that creates dynamic content through a variety of methods and means. Much like .jsp's and .php's; you may note that this BB is php, dynamically building the content from a database backend and a custom framework.
With my company, we use a lot of jsp's, not to mention the WebSphere suite -- of course -- to generate dynamic content, though I really like php as well.
Here's the thing. It's easier to port things like php and jsp to any server platform you like -- that's why they are called, platform independent -- than to move asp's to a *nix environment. (It can be done to a certain degree, but I have heard the results are somewhat sub-optimal).

Now for page components they could be referring to all those nasty little Microsoft extensions loaded when using something like FrontPage. (eeeek).

In order for pages to be developed without any real knowledge of how (x)HTML functions -- or client-side coding, programs like FrontPage use built in executables to handle programmatic functions. These then in turn get loaded into the user-space for your site. In order for these to function you must either be using a MS IIS server (Microsoft's Web Server application) or have those extensions enabled in some alternate *nix-based platform. (I.e. Apache).

That's what I can come up with off the top of my head. Cartika will, as I mentioned, have more intimate knowledge of this scale of business.

Cheers.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Whilst I am sure Cartika will go into a much more lengthy and informative dissertation

LOL - I will have to keep this one short :D

Kaos, read the post by Daemonguy above very carefully - as he has explained it perfectly.

Linux vs Windows from a server perspective should not impact you what-so-ever - based on what you are currently doing.

However, if you move into the development side - try to pick a platform independant solution (ie php/mysql).

ASP "can" work on a linux box if the host is utilizing a product known as "Chillisoft" - however - as Daemonguy as so correctly put it - this is "somewhat sub-optimal"

Do a google search for chillisoft and you will quickly see some of the problems people have encountered.

I am biased towards linux - however, the end decision is up to you - try to stay platform neutral and you should be ok either way.

BTW - question for Deamonguy - how is the websphere development suite of products? I understand its not as user friendly as the MS product line - Is it the cross functional flexibility that sold you?
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

CartikaHosting wrote:
Quote:
Whilst I am sure Cartika will go into a much more lengthy and informative dissertation

LOL - I will have to keep this one short :D

Oh stop. :) I didn't mean it as a bad thing, just that you have more experience at this level. ;)
CartikaHosting wrote:

Kaos, read the post by Daemonguy above very carefully - as he has explained it perfectly.

Perfectly? Nahhhhh. :) (You're making me blush. )

CartikaHosting wrote:

Linux vs Windows from a server perspective should not impact you what-so-ever - based on what you are currently doing.

However, if you move into the development side - try to pick a platform independant solution (ie php/mysql).

ASP "can" work on a linux box if the host is utilizing a product known as "Chillisoft" - however - as Daemonguy as so correctly put it - this is "somewhat sub-optimal"

Woot! 2 for 2! :)

CartikaHosting wrote:

BTW - question for Deamonguy - how is the websphere development suite of products? I understand its not as user friendly as the MS product line - Is it the cross functional flexibility that sold you?

While it is probably not as "user-friendly" (cringe) as the MS suite, I think it is more powerful, if for no other reason than the platform independence.
Seriously, the new WAS with the WPS (WebSphere Portal Service) is a heck of a lot better than the older version. No more X-forwarding; all web-based now. WAS6 looks pretty good too; I got a sneak peek. Once you understand how to install the framework and the portlets, it's cake.

Besides, I have to use it... my company makes it. :) Sort of a requirement, don't you know.

Cheers.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Besides, I have to use it... my company makes it.

Ahhh - a "Man in Blue". I spent several years there actually selling that stuff (along with IGS and the various other product lines)

Anything "top secret" you're working on :D
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

CartikaHosting wrote:
Quote:
Besides, I have to use it... my company makes it.

Ahhh - a "Man in Blue". I spent several years there actually selling that stuff (along with IGS and the various other product lines)

Anything "top secret" you're working on :D

I could tell you, but then I would have to kill you -- and by that I mean, leverage your stock causing a hostile takeover only to make your product defunct. :)

Not much; our group lives on the fringe, which basically means we can operate more efficiently without all the bureaucratic red-tape and do true end-to-end solutioning. As such, we get to play with all the new toys -- innovation is the watch word these days.
The cool part is that once we create something uber-slick we get to show it off as a part of a large marketing effort; usually during large-scale events, like Wimbledon or Australian Open. (That's why I am headed out in January to Melbourne.)
This year, it's the continuation of what we call Nodes on Demand; an autonomous "service" which increases utilization rates form the industry standard 13% to an average of greater than 89%.

That reminds me, I need to ask ATNO when he is going to make you a full-blown mod. ;)

Cheers!
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
and by that I mean, leverage your stock causing a hostile takeover only to make your product defunct.

LOL - or sell a competitor - who you own 19% of a division of your company for $1.25B - and gain instant access and dominance in foreign markets - turning a losing portfolio into a cash cow + a $1.25B revenue number on the books :D (simply brilliant)

Quote:
This year, it's the continuation of what we call Nodes on Demand

Ahhh - good old on-demand :D - they are determined to turn everything IT related into a utility - again - simply brilliant :)

Im not sure how a company that large and with sooo much red tape comes up with so many innovative ideas - consider yourself lucky to be on the fringe - very enviable position :D

Quote:
That reminds me, I need to ask ATNO when he is going to make you a full-blown mod.

LOL - I get myself in enough trouble with minor mod privilages
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

CartikaHosting wrote:

LOL - or sell a competitor - who you own 19% of a division of your company for $1.25B - and gain instant access and dominance in foreign markets - turning a losing portfolio into a cash cow + a $1.25B revenue number on the books :D (simply brilliant)

Heh. ;)

CartikaHosting wrote:

Ahhh - good old on-demand :D - they are determined to turn everything IT related into a utility - again - simply brilliant :)

Im not sure how a company that large and with sooo much red tape comes up with so many innovative ideas - consider yourself lucky to be on the fringe - very enviable position :D

I do, believe me. It's the only 'Big Blue' I have ever known, having only taken this job about 3.5 years ago. I think I'll stay. ;)

CartikaHosting wrote:
LOL - I get myself in enough trouble with minor mod privilages

Balderdash! I am sure it will be forthcoming.

Cheers.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts